Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza setup and questions.......

Options
Auburnegger
Auburnegger Posts: 127
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have used a few different setups with pizzas and have had only one real success. Can you post pictures and comments on how you set up your egg and how you cook pizzas. Thank you.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    This is my favorite setup. I do mine at 450-650* depending on the crust I use. Anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. Always preheat the stone for at least 30 minutes.

AlmostDone121708.jpg

Setup1217108.jpg

As you see, sometimes for ease of transfer from peel to the stone I use a pizza screen or parchment paper, but remove it after a few minutes. It makes the dough a little more crisp on the bottom.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Auburn,

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of my setup, but I do similar to Rod, putting the pizza stone on top of the inverted plate setter, using the little green feet as a spacer. I put the plate setter and stone in while the Egg is warming up to let them pre-heat.

As for the cooking, I get the dome temp up to 550, and cook for 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the crust has browned. I've tried different methods for getting the pizza on and off the Egg, and I think that parchment paper has yielded the best results, though I was out of it once and used tin foil in a pinch, and even that worked fine.

Here's a link to a post on our blog detailing our recipe of choice for dough and sauce. http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/07/recipe-pizza-al.html

If you post a little more information on why some of your cooks have not been to your satisfaction, we could probably better help you pinpoint the cause of your issues.

Good luck,

-John
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    This is the setup I like, plate setter legs up, main grid, extended grid with the stone on it. This gets the pie up nice and high in the dome and cooks the toppings better. -RP

IMG_0094Small.jpg
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    I have had a hard time with my pizza stone. The crust doesn't get as crisp or smoky as I like. Therefore, I put in my plate setter, feet up and use a raised grid with no stone at 550 for raw dough. Even frozen pizza is dynamite, but I just use the temp and time specified on the packaging.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    everyone likes different things about pizzas, different styles, different thickness of dough, more or less toppings, heavey or light with the sauce. best thing to do is watch pizza posts til you see the exact style you like and ask them what they did. i can post how to cook thin chewy basil pizza at 1200 degrees, but that might not be what your looking for. we all have our setups fine tuned for our likes and dislikes, even temperatures are different for different pies, i cook pizza from about 400 to 1200 depending on what im doing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    From what I can gather, the general concensus is get the stone up high for even heating and close to the dome for reflective heating. Because pizza doughs come in all thickeness, you'll need to play some on a specific set up. One thing to watch is buring the gasket with a large stone at the felt line height. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    You cook at 1200 degress? WOW! Holy Sh@t thats HOT!!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Your second picture is super cool...
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Here is my spin that I have used for two years to get the pie higher up in the dome.Randy if you try this you will find that it does not take near as long to get the temperature to the 500 degree range.The difference is being that when the legs are down it gets hotter faster.I use a eight or nine inch Weber smoker Joe grate with four inch bolts attached and just put the pizza stone on top of the grate.
    spatchcockchicken075.jpg

spatchcockchicken084-1.jpg

spatchcockchicken085-1.jpg

Good luck with you pie cooking.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Didn't say what temp Randy. I want to try some this weekend.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE