Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough Tenderloin

Options
Whipstock
Whipstock Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my first pork tenderloin yesterday, cooked it low and slow for close to 8 hours. Had moisture in the pan underneath it, it had been injected with a pineapple juice, clove, bit of apple cider vinegar and the such mixture, did not lift the lid once the eggdome temp hit 200-210 and pulled the meat when it reached temp, looked great, but was pretty tough and dry. Could I have done something different or wrong?

Love this forum, great learning, outstanding looking foods posted, fun stories and a wonderful place for backyard egghead wannabes like me to gain insight from the pros.

Thanks everyone, James.

Comments

• JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    What temp was the meat when you pulled it off the Egg? I only cook tenderloins to about 140F. 8 hours seems like an awfully long time for tenderloin.
  • Whipstock
    Options
    Meat temp was 140 and it closer to 7 hours or less
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i just have to ask, tenderloins are like a pound and a half, loins are big, was it really a little tenderloin. thats an aweful long cook, next time try 350 to 400 for an internal just less than 140 at pulling time.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Whipstock:

A tenderloin shouldn't take over 3o minutes to cook to 140. I did 2 Saturday indirect and in a pan, and the cook wasn't longer than 30 - 40 minutes. Pulled them at about 150 and they were tender as a mother's love.

Mike
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yikes....

tenderloin isn't really "designed" for lo-and-slo cooking. some folks use it in a crock pot, and cook it to death that way where it'll shred, but they usually have a ton of liquid.

tenderloin is tender already, with little fat and very little connective tissue. it is generally cooked hot and fast to about 135/145 internal.

beyond that, it will be overcooked and toguh
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Mine usually take no more then 20 min. max.

Egg temp,350 direct till the meat hits 145. Like mentioned, Pork Tenderloin, not loin.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • LunaC
    LunaC Posts: 18
    Options
    Cook pork tenderloin like you would a steak....
  • Whipstock
    Options
    So, I was incorrect what cut of pork it was. It was a Pork Loin Top Loin Roast Boneless (Double). Sorry for the rookie mistake.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    you still cooked it too long...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    figured you had the wrong cut. your internals were fine however you cooked it at way to low a temp. in an egg 275 to 300 would be considered a low dome temp for that piece and some like it cooked that way. i cook those hotter, anywhere from 350 to 450 works for me, usually starting a little hot for color and dropping the temps to keep the outside from burning too much, at the hotter temps off the egg at 135 internal, at the lower temps ill bring it up a little higher. what happened during your cook is that 200 probably registered 170 to 180 at the grill, thats approaching jerkey temps for a cook. higher dome temps next time and it will be better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Like everyone has said, wrong temperature. I cook pork roast/loins to 125 and pull. We like ours medium rare. 140 is medium well and dry for us.

Here is a web sight that will help with temps.

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/meat_temperature_guide.html
  • slyrye
    slyrye Posts: 135
    Options
    Don't let it get you down Whip, I won't even mention my first cook! Look at the recipe section here and try some different ones out. You'll get used to it!
    Experience is nothing more than mistakes we have made!
  • Whipstock
    Options
    Thanks everyone, going for chicken tonight, pretty sure I won't mess that up.
    JW
  • Sevenrats
    Options
    You don't have to slow cook pork tenderloin. It's a low fat, low connective tissue cut. Get the egg to between 350 and 400 and just cook it direct heat. 4 or 5 minutes a side. 4 sides. That's 15 to 20 minutes total. Then check the temp and take it off between 140 and 145. Wrap it in foil for 15 to 20 minutes and then eat!It should be juicy and slightly pink. Oh and throw a wet wood chunk in there right before you put it on the grate!