Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Temp probes, where do you put them in?

pithoundpithound Posts: 32
edited 4:15PM in EggHead Forum
Hey guys,

My only cook I decided to put my temp probes in through the top daisy wheel. How do most people insert their temp probes into their eggs? I worry about the gasket crushing the wire and shorting it out... anyone got suggestions other than the daisy wheel? Thanks!
·

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 15,360
    your gasket will compress adequately to protect your cable.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • OttawaEggOttawaEgg Posts: 283
    I put mine in the meat B)

I have one of those kewlie-neato remote probes so I don't have to go outside to see the temp.

Just shove it into the thickest part of the meat (not touching any bone!). The cable will be fine.

Cheers and happy egging! :woohoo:
    ·
  • pithoundpithound Posts: 32
    Oh, I know *where* they go, just meant what point of entry do you use to get inside the egg. I was worried that lid would crush my wires, that's all.
    ·
  • OttawaEggOttawaEgg Posts: 283
    I figured that - I was just funnin w/ya :)
    ·
  • mojomojo Posts: 216
    As was mentioned, your wires will be fine between the gaskets. That won't cause any problem, although cooks above 400* will damage most probe wires unless they are upgraded models.
    ·
  • pithoundpithound Posts: 32
    Yeah, I really only use probes for 350 or less, and even then I have high heat probes with foil around em.

Mike, you here in Austin? I am down South
    ·
  • mojomojo Posts: 216
    Yep, on the west side. Love this town!
    ·