Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Swiss Mushroom Burgers

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I got tired of seeing the McDonald's commercial on TV for Swiss Mushroom Cheeseburgers and decided to take matters into my own hands. A trip to Sam's produced 5#'s of ground chuck and a couple boxes of the nicest mushrooms I have seen in a while.

Melting butter is a good start for anything . . .
SwissMushChA_640.jpg

Diced about 3#'s of onions and added to the butter . . .
SwissMushChB_640.jpg

With the egg at about 500º and vigilant stirring they
were soon caramelized to a beautiful color . . .
SwissMushChC_640.jpg

I did the same to 3#'s of beautiful mushrooms that I had quartered, leaving in large pieces. When cooled I add the onions and mushrooms to my ground chuck. To that I added (not measuring) 2 different garlic powders. Two tablespoons McCormick's California Style that is granular and has great flavor and about 2 teaspoons of a finely ground garlic powder and a teaspoon or two of onion powder. A teaspoon or two of sea salt, a teaspoon of black pepper and a tablespoon or so of Gravy Master (adds great flavor). Because it was taking a lot of mixing to get everything well incorporated I added about a cup and a half of dried, diced (1/4") sourdough bread to try and keep the ground chuck from getting to compacted (over handled) (it seams to have worked).
When all was well mixed I shaped it into a dozen nice big burgers. I got out the FoodSaver and packaged them 2 up (raw) in 11" wide bags. I placed a piece of waxed paper on top of the bagged burgers and put a couple slices of swiss cheese on top of each one.

SwissMushChD_640.jpg
SwissMushChE_640.jpg

With the cast iron grid flipped flat side up and the egg at about 350º I gave each side about 4 minutes or so, until internal temp was about 125º-130º and add the swiss cheese and gave them about a minute more.
SwissMushChF_640.jpg

I had a few cooked onions and mushrooms I had held out and served them on top. Sorry no plated photo, I think hunger took over and my picture taking ability went out the window.
The burgers came out great! Much better than anything McDonald's has and for a lot less money. These came out very tasty, juicy and full of caramelized onions and mushrooms. A good supply are always welcome in the old freezer.
smiley_drool.gif

Gator

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    oohhhh... that is a cruel pic!! if they tasted half as good as they looked you did great :)
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Julie,

LOL, I'm biased, I think they taste at least twice as good as they look. :lol:

Gator

• Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Thanks for sharing. Those look absolutely delicious!!! :ohmy: :)
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Good idea of freezing made up burgers. That is in my future.
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Rib, I will be doing more when these are gone. That is a great combination of flavors.

Gator

• Gator Bait

Thanks Mark, My freezer was pretty lonely until I got my egg, now it is working overtime. My FoodSaver is a recent addition and it is fantastic. It preserves everything so well and I can see what is inside every package. I thought packaging the cheese with the burgers was a stroke of genius, LOL. When I go to cook them in the future I will not have to worry about having swiss cheese on hand. A week or so down the road I will be thanking myself. :lol:

Gator

• rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    I luv swiss mushroom burgers. I also add bacon to the mix to have swiss/mushroom/bacon burger.
  • Gator Bait

Hi rosros,

I agree, if I had any bacon on hand it would have gone in as well. It crossed my mind but this is not the best time of month for my budget. Next time for sure.

Gator

• I could eat one right now, Gator. Those look good. Thanks for the idea about the cheese.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Good looking Swiss Burgers. I would have sampled the onions a couple of time while making the burgers. :laugh:
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Faith, LOL, freezing the cheese with the burgers was a self disciplinary action. If I didn't do that I would have snacked away all my swiss cheese and would not have had any for my burgers. I have to out think myself at times. :lol:

Congratulations on the great throw down, I can't wait to see what LC comes up with for the next one.

Gator

• Gator Bait

Thanks Barry, Onions and mushrooms both were sampled many times. I used real butter and love them both cooked that way. The mushrooms in particular were wonderful. They were large and very fresh so I just quartered them. After they cooked down they were still a nice bite size and had soaked up the butter. I could have eaten them all just as they were.
    I roast garlic the same way. I can get a 3# jar of pealed garlic from Sam's and toss it in the dutch oven with some butter and a little salt. Keep a close eye on it and stir often and it comes out great. I then freeze it in small 1/2 cup storage cups and usually have it on hand.

Gator

• mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    This belongs in the recipe section, great idea and nice blend of flavors. I like the bacon idea too, although I like bacon with everything :laugh: .
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Mike, I will think about posting it in the recipe section. My only reservation is that I didn't measure very much. If I added bacon I would probably cut back on the amount of salt, depending on the bacon used.

I agree I have never met a piece of bacon I didn't like. :lol:

Gator

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Wow, what a lip-smackin', chin-droolin' cook! Kudos from the Suncoast!

Rascal
  • Gator Bait

Hey Rascal,

Thanks, funny you should mention the Suncoast, I got rained on about three times while cooking these. That weird wind out of the west was dumping on me in the middle of the day. As long as the hurrycanes stay away I don't complain. ;)

Gator

• Gator

How long do you cook the garlic and what texture and appearance do they turn out? That sounds like a great idea.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I'd gladly pay you next Tuesday for one of Swiss Mushrooms Burgers today!
    :lol::lol:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  •  
    Hi Jerry,

I cook the garlic just like the onions and mushroms, usually at about 350º to 400º for almost an hour. Mushrooms I think take a little less time because they are softer to begin with. I cook them with either canola oil or butter, enough to lightly coat them. Butter taste better but the oil is healthier. You could also use a combination of the two. A little salt will help draw the moisture out of them a little quicker but is not neccesary. I cook for the first 20 minutes or so with the cover on the dutch oven. I think it helps draw the moisture out, then I take the cover off and let the moisture evaporate.
    Stirring them is critical, you can not over stir them but it is very easy to under stir them. If they burn they get bitter. The other day my grill was up around 500º and I was stirring them every 2 or 3 minutes, just to be safe. You cook some and you get a feel for how fast they are cooking and how often to stir them.
    Garlic_640.jpg
    These are some I did last April, you can see they are starting to get some color and are starting to get real soft. I trim the little stem end off the garlic, I don't know how well it will cook.

I think they cook as well in the dutch oven as any more traditional way and I can do large batches.

Gator

• Looking good man! Looks like you are getting some good use out of that food saver. :) I still haven't picked one up.
  •  
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well said, Sir.

Gator

•  
    Hey Eddie,

Thanks, the FoodSaver is pretty cool. I like buying steaks when I can get a good deal and being able to protect my investment makes it worth it. I really liked the idea of sealing the cheese in with the burger so I will have it when I want it. The mice around here would nibble it away long before I cook all those burgers. ;)

Gator