Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Throwdown request

FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
edited 1:52PM in EggHead Forum
All the dishes looked great but I would like to know who cooked what. If you wouldn't mind please repost your cook or you # in the throwdown. There were no losers here as I would be proud to claim anyone of them. Hope I'll be able to enter the next one. Great job everyone

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Much better in concept than execution. Turned out great, just not really photogenic. Better plating next time, I promise!

The sauce:

Coconut Pistachio Cream Sauce

1/2 cup coconut milk
    1/4 cup pistachios, ground
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, plus an additional 2 tablespoons for garnish
    2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
    1 small clove garlic
    1 Serrano pepper, seeded and minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons agave nectar
    1/8 teaspoon salt

The Spring Roll Ingredients:

Cabbage, julienned
    Carrots, julienned
    Bean Sprouts
    Short grain rice
    Scallops, previously seared and seasoned with salt and cumin
    Pistachios, roughly chopped

All ingredients stir fried and taken off to cool.

Wok with one inch peanut oil heated to 400*. Spring roll wrappers stuffed with stir fried ingredients, and rolled. Spring rolls fried for 2-3 minutes per side until crisp. Served over more short grain rice, garnished with more cumin and cilantro. Sauced served on the side.

Photos:

The raw ingredients

Ingredients2.jpg

The cooking photos

Cooking11.jpg

Cooking22.jpg

Cooking33.jpg

Cooking44.jpg

The plated dish

PlatedDish1.jpg
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Nothin lame about that cuz! B) Looks DELISH!
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    they all looked great, yours included. it's not "lame". "lame" is not doing one.

yours was pretty original.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Oh please Fidel. Yours was on my top 5. That cook and plate looked fabulous!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Pesto, Rice, Grilled Scallops & Shrimp
    IMG_2328.jpg
  • I agree - I'd like to see who created which dish. They all looked great, I just wish I could have tasted them!

I tried going back and right clicking the photos and looking at "properties" as someone mentioned, but not everyone uses their forum name for their Photobucket account.

You guys did great - all the entries looked delicious!

Patty
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    I will have more to say tomorrow, but first, let me say I was absolutely amazed at the imagination and talent that was displayed by ALL participants!! Truly, this Egg Community never ceases to amaze me! Congratulations to each and every one of you! An excellent job by EVERYone!!! :)

My Entry....
    DSC01424.jpg
    Bacon and Pistachio crusted Scallops, Citrus Cumin Sauce, and Saffron Asparagus Risotto

Thanks to everyone who participated, and to those who took the time to cast a vote!
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Congratulations Little Chef.
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    That was the one that got my vote. Great job Rod
  • Congrats Michelle, that was an amazing dish. Hope to meet you in Atlanta this coming Oct.
  • AnnaGAnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Good job Ron!!! Awesome looking meal... I hope it tasted as good as it looked... :)
    Nice Ron. That was a beautiful plated pic
    Rod, I didn't see a single lame entry!!! Congrats on a job well done... :)
  • dup msg
    Congrats Michelle!!! It looked like a meal I would have loved to have tried... :)
  • Hey Fidel,

Nothing lame about it - I love egg rolls and never would have thought of using scallops in them. Looks delicious to me - I'll be trying your recipe.

I think it's hard to plate white rice and have it look good - especially on a white plate.

Kudos to you and everyone else for entering.

Patty
    Congrats LC and how come you didn't cook that at the mini fest :angry: :laugh: :laugh: Just messin with you, Great job.
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Congrats to LC and all of the contestants...they all looked great.
    Fidel...How dare you call this "lame"? I loved your dish!! Very creative, and looked fantastic!! The only problem I had with it was that I didn't get to eat one of those rolls!! ;) Maybe I can try one in Atlanta?? :whistle: Great job! ;)
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    The only things missin were the cottage cheese and Hershey's syrup! :laugh Lookin good L.C.!!!
  • WhipstockWhipstock Posts: 104
    The bimb! Great looking well thought out eats. Congrats!
  • JBJB Posts: 510
    I was #3. Was just happy to get a few votes. I was really gunning for visual but this actually turned out quite tasty. Had fun participating.

Scallopthrowdown8-28-09JB006.jpg
    Scallopthrowdown8-28-09JB007.jpg
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,411
    019-11.jpg
    020-9.jpg
    044-1.jpg
    040-3.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Looks good to me in the photos
  • Congrats Michele! There were some fine looking meals with a lot of creativity and effort. Great job. :)
    Bacchus...You did a fantastic job!! I would never think to add pistachios to a pesto! Wonderful idea, and one I will remember!! ;) I also want to say I appreciate the fact you were willing to grill the seafoods direct! :) Nice grill marks, and a beautiful job on the plating! ;) Great job Bacchus!
  • JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Dang, Mike, I didn't think that was lame at all. In fact, it was my runner-up, and a dang close one, too.
  • HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I'm not big on seafood and I would eat that.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,411
    Michelle,

Congratulations on a great job and beautiful presentation. This is fun. Looking forward to the next one.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggerman1Eggerman1 Posts: 154
    Glad to see another Chiefs fan with pride of their team. Hope Cassel isn't hurt significantly or we need to keep thigpen.

GO CHIEFS!