Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ping Bente

JimS
JimS Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
need to know where you use the ties and why when you are replaceing the gasket. I normally take the dome off but i have never used the ties you mentioned before in another thread to me. Is there a specific reason for the Ties and if i don't use them will i goof up everything which i usually do. I am about to tackle the change to the nomex w/3m77.Thanks

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The ties are used to prevent you from being slapped in the face by a band and suing BGE :woohoo:

The straps hold the upper and lower hinges together..
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    CW is right!

i take the dome off and the bands off also..

here is the one picture i have with the wire ties

crackedeggfirday008.jpg

they are positioned back at the hinge they are actually on the hinge.. it is a really easy process

1 put wire ties on hinge
    2 loosen the nut on the bands for the dome loosen until you can pull the dome off
    3 pull the dome off
    4 loosen the band until you can pull them off the bottom
    5 pull the bands off and set aside
    scrape off old and install new gasket
    reassemble in reverse order

let me know if i can help out more ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• JimS
    JimS Posts: 78
    Thanks to all for the info. Guess i will get some ties and do it the right way. Jim
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Jim - 1. Loosen both band bolts, 2. Pass tie between both bands and the Egg. 3. Secure tie. 4. Remove dome.

Reverse procedure to re-install.

Worked for me...

Tiewrap01copy.jpg
  • Thanks for the tutorial and pics.I'm sure it will come in handy at some point..hopefully not soon.