Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on chipped lid

Options
Large Marge
Large Marge Posts: 404
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I finally did it...3 kids makes for lots of distractions and I got pulled away leaving my BGE doors open and lava temps ensued, melting gasket completely. Got it open this morning and found some of the lid stuck to the upper lid...see pic below for the chip that now remains. Any advice? Was thinking just re-gasket right over it as it isn't very deep, but is there an epoxy or some other goo I can use to seal the chip under the new gasket that will resist the heat? Thanks all!

IMG_5502.jpg

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i've got one like that on my small. .. been that way for about 5 years now. ..gasketed (is that a word?) right over it. ...never been an issue. ...
  • Large Marge
    Options
    thank you. And sure, gasketed is a word...just like "egged" - someone needs to keep a running dictionary of BGE terms.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Your gasket looks brand new compared to mine. If the chip is making you crazy fill it it with some JB Weld when you replace the gasket.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    If you said Oops! you are forgiven.Really not much to worry about.Just don't let it happen again.As Max and thebtls have stated.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    If you were able to salvage the chip just JB Weld it back on, if not I wouldn't worry too much. It dosen't look big enough to effect any thing. When you put a new gasket on you will forget that it is there. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

My call would be to use slow cure JB Weld. I would think a heat related chip would be on the inside, rather than the outside.

I got a chip something like when tightening the bands.
    Here are a couple of ideas.

There is a material used in firing ceramics and porcelain that is used to cover shelves and stilts so the piece being fired won't melt (weld) into the shelve itself. 'Kiln Wash' is a white somewhat liquid and is capable of withstanding heats well over what the lump can produce. It is a liquid and can be layered to fill a chip like that. You would need to be careful you don't create a high spot in that area.

That chip is about 50% of the way into the center. If you have the broken out piece available, kiln stores have a liquid adhesive for repairing kiln's, kiln stilts and shelves. The adhesive/glue is designed to withstand firing temperatures. Kiln wash may well work for adhering the piece back in place and can be used to fill any cracks or small missing parts.

Mask the outside of the egg so the wash doesn't drip down the 'green'.

However, eggs do have a warranty and you might want to give a quick call to BGE service and ask them for the best solution to the problem.

GG