Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Throwdown Entries

Throwdown Geek
Throwdown Geek Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
These are the qualifying entries to this months Scallop, Pistachio, Cumin and Rice throwdown. Please enter your votes on [url=]this thread[/url].

This thread is only for the throwdown entries please do not respond to any entries on this thread.

Thanks

Your friendly neighborhood geek.

Comments

• PISTACHIO CRUSTED SCALLOP BURGER SLIDERS WITH CILANTRO-LIME AND CUMIN MAYO ON BUTTERY CROISSANTS

The scallop burgers have all the ingredients plus onion, chives, lime juice, and ginger while the cilantro-lime and cumin mayo packs just a hint of heat

DSC_0729.jpg
    DSC_0733.jpg
    DSC_0735.jpg
  • My cook was done last night, Thursday. Consisted of a seafood paella w/ the four chosen ingredients plus conch, shrimp, clams, mussels, peas, red peppers, both hot and bell. Served with Sterling Chardonney.

Ingredients2.jpg

Finished.jpg

Plated-1.jpg
  • Seared Sea Scallops wrapped in bacon, Pistachio-Green onion stuffing with Wild Rice and a Cumin Cream Sauce

Stuffing: cooked green onions in EVOO for a couple of minutes, added chopped pistachios and cooked a few more minutes. Mixed in fresh chopped parsley, parmesan, salt & pepper.

Rice: Uncle Ben's Long grain/ Wild Rice. Simmered on Egg for 20 minutes. Mixed in half of the stuffing mixture to create a Pistachio-Green Onion rice.

Scallops: large and fresh (about 8 to a pound). Cut a slit in each and added a small spoonful of the stuffing. Wrapped in bacon and secured with toothpicks. Salt, pepper and a little cumin sprinkled on both sides. Seared direct about 2 mins/ per side and dwelled for a few more minutes until done.

Cumin Cream Sauce: cup of heavy cream and 2 tsps cumin, a little s&p. Whisked on the Egg until frothy and reduced.

Scallopthrowdown8-28-09JB001.jpg
    Scallopthrowdown8-28-09JB002.jpg
    Scallopthrowdown8-28-09JB004.jpg
    Scallopthrowdown8-28-09JB006.jpg
  • Scallop Porcupine balls with Balsamic reduction

2 cups cheep balsamic vinegar
    place the vinegar in a small pot on the back of the egg and just let simmer while you cook to reduce to about 1/2 cup. It should be thick and coat your spoon, this will take awhile.
    THEN:
    1 1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup Riesling or your favorite white wine. (this was all I had at work LOL)
    1 cup rice
    1/2 tsp cumin
    Mix rice, water, wine and cumin in a small Dutch oven, cover and cook direct till done.
    set aside and let cool
    THEN:
    6 med sized scallops sliced the flat way to make 12 disks
    2 T butter
    3 T crushed pistachio nuts
    in a small skillet direct 400, melt the butter and sear the scallops, just to brown. add the chopped nuts and stir to coat. cook till the scallops are done about 3 minutes.
    pull and chop the scallops to small pieces. mix with the rice, salt and pepper to taste and let cool. Now using a melon scooper form small appetizer sized balls. at this point they can go in the frig till ready to heat and serve. Melt 1 T of butter in a cast iron pan and cook the balls till golden brown. Drizzle your plate with the balsamic sauce and place three balls for a serving. this takes 6 scallops and makes about 24 horsderves or 8 appetizer size servings.
    IMG_7790.jpg
    IMG_7794.jpg
    IMG_7797.jpg
    IMG_7798.jpg
    IMG_7799.jpg
    IMG_7810.jpg
  • The sauce:

Coconut Pistachio Cream Sauce

1/2 cup coconut milk
    1/4 cup pistachios, ground
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, plus an additional 2 tablespoons for garnish
    2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
    1 small clove garlic
    1 Serrano pepper, seeded and minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons agave nectar
    1/8 teaspoon salt

The Spring Roll Ingredients:

Cabbage, julienned
    Carrots, julienned
    Bean Sprouts
    Short grain rice
    Scallops, previously seared and seasoned with salt and cumin
    Pistachios, roughly chopped

All ingredients stir fried and taken off to cool.

Wok with one inch peanut oil heated to 400*. Spring roll wrappers stuffed with stir fried ingredients, and rolled. Spring rolls fried for 2-3 minutes per side until crisp. Served over more short grain rice, garnished with more cumin and cilantro. Sauced served on the side.

Photos:

The raw ingredients

Ingredients2.jpg

The cooking photos

Cooking11.jpg

Cooking22.jpg

Cooking33.jpg

Cooking44.jpg

The plated dish
    PlatedDish1.jpg
  • Scallop and prawn vindaloo with crushed pistachios, Palak paneer, basmati rice with cumin seed and egged naan.

029-4.jpg

043-2.jpg

034-5.jpg
  • These photos were sent in by mistake I think.

IMG_0009a.jpg

IMG_0008a.jpg

IMG_0010a.jpg

WILL UPDATE WITH NEW ONES IF THEY COME
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    hahahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I had an abundance of Basil and Garlicc on hand so I mixed the pistachio's into a Pesto, which along with the white rice made an excellent platform for the Hardwood Grill Seared Scallops & Shrimp! The shrimp was rubbed in a cumin/pepper blend.

The Secret Ingredients
    IMG_2319.jpg

Rice cooking on the Small
    IMG_2315.jpg

Made a Pesto of Garlic, Basil, grated parm, EVOO, & Pistchachio's
    IMG_2326.jpg

Scallops on Small/CI GRID
    IMG_2327.jpg

Pesto, Rice, Grilled Scallops & Shrimp
    IMG_2328.jpg
  • The "must have" ingredients.
    DSCI0004-9.jpg
    Some additional ingredients.
    DSCI0004-9.jpg
    The cooking on the egg pics.
    DSCI0009-1-1.jpg
    DSCI0012-18.jpg
    Final Plating
    I made a pilof style rice using the pistachios, fresh whole cumin, chicken stock, dehydrated veggies, green onions, roasted red peppers and saffron. I cooked three different types of scallops; S&P basil covered, Pistachio/cumin encrusted, and, Lemon rind and Old Bay. I topped the S&P scallop with a Gremolata style sauce using La Bomba, pistachios,cumin,parsley and grape seed oil. Enjoy!
    DSCI0014-11.jpg
    DSCI0013-14.jpg
  • DSC01388-1.jpg

The Raws

DSC01391.jpg

The key ingredients

DSC01396.jpg

Citrus segments for Sauce, Citrus Pomegranite Sauce with Cumin and brandy

DSC01401.jpg

Sauce almost reduced enough. Later pureed and strained.

DSC01411.jpg

Scallops searing with Pistacio and Bacon Crust

DSC01416.jpg

Saffron Asparugus Risotto

DSC01425.jpg

Finished plate!
  • Hard to make this a short description but I will answer any questions after the throw down and names are revealed, plus many more pictures available.
    First, I tried to use two types of the ingredients, bay and sea scallops, short and long grain rice, ground and whole cumin, shelled and no shelled pistachios (lame I know, can't find those red ones anywhere).
    Fry bacon in cast iron skillet. Remove bacon. Dust bay/sea scallops/lobster in cumin and sauté's in bacon fat.
    Dust shrimp with cumin and grill with direct heat.
    Make seafood stock with shrimp shells and heads, lobster body, lemons, carrots, fresh herbs.(I could have just eaten this.)
    Make sushi rice according to directions. When rice is cooled, make into balls and coat with crushed pistachios to be used as croutons, served in scallop shells.
    Make scallop bisque (involved recipe, I will post details later.)
    Enjoy!!
    I do hope to win but realize how much work Faith and Steven have put into this throw down.

THANKS FAITH AND STEVEN

DSCN4109.jpg

DSCN4115.jpg

DSCN4114.jpg

DSCN4121.jpg
  • The "raws"
    0829091757a.jpg

Chicken Broth and water.
    0829091812.jpg

On the lump to bring it to a boil.
    DSCN2096.jpg

Covered the pot and placed it on the grid to simmer.
    0829091833.jpg
    Rice done.
    DSCN2100.jpg

Cilantro, pistachio nuts,Parmesan cheese, garlic,and cumin mixed with some EVOO.
    DSCN2099.jpg

Scalops coated with flour, ancho chili powder, cumin and salt. Then into a hot cast iron pan.

DSCN2106.jpg

DSCN2103.jpg
    On the plate.
    DSCN2108.jpg
    DSCN2109.jpg

This will be done again. It was fantastic.
  • Homegrown Tomatoes Stuffed With Cumin-Marinaded Scallops and Smoked Pistachio Rice

As we thought about the list of ingredients for this Throwdown, we realized that my wife has a great recipe for a rice and pistachio salad, and since that covered two of the ingredients, we decided that we would use that as a base and stuff something with it. We considered several options, including stuffing large scallops with the rice mixture, but when we went to the supermarket they didn't have any large scallops, so we bought some small ones and decided that we would stuff them, along with the rice mixture, into vegetables. A quick visit to the garden came up with some nice large tomatoes, and our plan was set.

As many of the ingredients in our stuffed tomato dish had different cooking requirements, we basically did three prep cooks, using both our Small and Large Eggs with different setups, and then combined all the ingredients at the end to come up with the final dish. We began by smoking the pistachios over apple wood in our SBGE by laying them out in a foil pan and smoking for 45 minutes at 200 degrees. At the same time, we boiled some water in a pot placed in our LBGE set up for direct heat. Once the water boiled, we heated up a combination of toasted sesame oil and hot pepper sesame oil in a second pot, sauteed the rice grains for a minute or two to get them coated in the oil, then poured the boiling water over them. After boiling for another few minutes, we removed the lidded pot, and let it sit for 30 minutes for the rice to absorb the water. While the pistachios and rice were cooking, we marinaded the scallops in a combination of cumin, olive oil, lime juice, and kosher salt for about 20 minutes. We then put the scallops into a grill basket, and smoked them over alder wood smoke for about 15 minutes at 200 degrees, while hollowing out six large homegrown tomatoes. When the scallops were done, we prepared the stuffing by adding the marjoram leaves, cumin, olive oil, and red wine vinegar to the rice, then stirring in the smoked pistachios and scallops. Finally, we stuffed the tomatoes with the mixture, placed them in a foil pan, and cooked them indirect at about 300 degrees for 10 minutes, just enough to heat up the tomatoes and reheat the stuffing. We then plated the tomatoes with additional stuffing on the side, and served immediately.

I was really happy with how this turned out. By cooking each ingredient separately, we were able to give them each a distinctive taste that really came through in the final product. For example, individually smoking the scallops and pistachios over different types of wood gave each of them a different and interesting smokey flavor, which was made more distinctive when mixed with the rice, which wasn't smoked. If we had cooked all of this together, everything would have had the same amount of smoke flavor. Just quickly cooking at the end left the tomatoes nice and firm with their own flavor as well.

Ingredients

Here are our ingredients laid out before cooking. From the front, going clockwise, we have: fresh marjoram, 4 tablespoons lime juice, 2 cups water, a tablespoon of cumin (for the rice), a combination of a tablespoon each cumin and kosher salt (for the scallop marinade), 6 large homegrown tomatoes, a bag of pistachios, 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, 6 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil mixed with 1 teaspoon hot pepper sesame oil, one pound Mexican Bay scallops, and one cup of rinsed basmati rice.

3868169108_e958a1ecdc.jpg

Cooking

Here are pictures of our food cooking. I know the rules asked for one picture of this, but since we essentially did four cooks, I provided a picture of each. If you want to pare it down, please just leave the last one showing the actual entree cooking.

Here are the pistachios smoking. Note my elegant method of fitting a large pan into my small Egg.

3867387491_0f77d515b6.jpg

Here is the water boiling and the rice being sauteed in the LBGE. Yes, the grid is on fire. I did a duck earlier in the week, and the fat wouldn't come off. :)

3867387787_b7cbc8ec93.jpg

Here are the scallops being smoked. Note that I used the BGE ceramic feet on the plate setter to put some distance between the hot ceramic and the bottom of the basket. I couldn't use the grate and close the lid, due to the design of the handle.

3867388119_b6892c726e.jpg

Finally, the ingredients come together for a final trip to the SBGE. Yes, I recycled my customized foil pan.

3868170268_6000f98e39.jpg

Plated Picture

Here are the finished stuffed tomatoes, served over a bed of the stuffing.

3868170642_9686738a21.jpg

Thanks again. This was a lot of fun.
  • Colossal sea scallops stuffed with roasted pistachios and sauteed spinach served on a crispy cumin rice cake served with a red chili cumin garlic drizzle:

AugustThrowdown2009011.jpg

First time for jasmine rice on the egg:

AugustThrowdown2009002.jpg

AugustThrowdown2009004.jpg

AugustThrowdown2009005.jpg

Assembled and back to sautee on the cast iron:

ScallopRiceCumin-forpost.jpg

Plated:

AugustThrowdown2009013.jpg
  • I mixed a teaspoon(or so)of cumin in with the rice,so there's 2 ingredients down,cooking in a D.O.Then I warmed up a CI skillet with some EVOO(mixed with crushed pistachios and pepper).I wanted more pistachios,so I just added a side-dish for them(hahaha).Here are the pictures,

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg
  • wannaegg
    wannaegg Posts: 31
    Colossal sea scallops stuffed with roasted pistachios and sauteed spinach served on a crispy cumin rice cake served with a red chili cumin garlic drizzle:

AugustThrowdown2009011.jpg

AugustThrowdown2009002.jpg

AugustThrowdown2009004.jpg

AugustThrowdown2009005.jpg

ScallopRiceCumin-forpost.jpg

AugustThrowdown2009014.jpg

AugustThrowdown2009013.jpg
  • stike
    size is limited by the forum software. ...and you just blew your cover, man!

:laugh:
  • wannaegg
    wannaegg Posts: 31
    I did not cook this, just made the pictures larger.
  • stike
    ah.
    cool.

(pics look the same size. maybe the links are the same?)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    However you did blew somebodies cover.. :woohoo:
  • stike
    they're ALL blown. hahaha

still. that shouldn't matter. just saying. kinda funny