Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Temp

Plumbob
Plumbob Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do I get my large egg to 750?

I have tried with the damper wide open and the lid open to get the coals white hot, and then close the lid and open the flue wide open and maybe 600 after 15 minutes.

Help!!! :huh:

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

You didn't mention what size egg?

Heat = fuel + air flow. (no fan's needed)

Use a wiggle rod and clear some of the air holes through the bottom of the fire grate.

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    use fresh lump, take the daisy OFF entirely.
    light the egg and shut the dome right away, restricting draft to the lower vent alone, which needs to be wide open. wait, maybe 15, 20 minutes
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Grampa,
    I have a medium and have had same trouble. I have cleaned airholes but still 650 ish is all i can get.
    I rarely go that high but nice to when you need a good sear.
    Also I wanted to ask you the best way of raising temp after an hour @325ish. I was doing potatoes etc before I wanted to cook my steak. I could not get the temp above four hundred. Any advice?

Thanks

Mike
  • Plumbob
    Hi Grampa,

Yes, I said it is a large Egg.

And I use big Green Egg lump Charcoal.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    also have you re-calibrated your dome thermometer lately?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub

Make sure you buy or make a good wiggle rod. If you use a metal coat hanger, straighten out the wire, fold in half, twist then bend the end up. Personally I would buy a wiggle rod or build one out of metal round stock. I believer Thrideye's wiggle rods are made out of stainless steel and there are a couple of other members that make and sell wiggle rods.

Air flow up through the fire box and into the lump is the biggest problem with getting an egg to higher temperatures.

When you build your fire build it wide and down into the lump about 1 to 1.5 inches. As long as you have good air flow though the lump you should get very high temperatures.

After trying the above if you still have problems ping or email me. There is another way to get much higher performance out of any egg. I would rather you give the above a try first. It works.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Yup, you sure did say it was a large, sorry for missing that.

Below is an example of a small amount of lump in the fire box, all lump pretty small pieces, all lump has been used from previous cooks.

The only difference is good air flow.

smalllumptst3.jpg

smalllumptst4.jpg

smalllumptst2.jpg

smalllumptst1.jpg

No it's not 750° but it wouldn't take much to get it there.

GG
  • Plumbob
    I just cleaned my egg very well. (Disassembled)

I put BGE lump in just past the side air holes and lit it.
    The bottom damper was wide open, and I left the lid open untill some coals got going. Then I closed the lid but left the top completly off. It got to 550 and nothing more.

I was getting frustrated so I put a fan in front of the bottom damper and it got to 650 tops.

I even stoked the coals after they were lit for a while.

I would like to know step by step from placing the coals to the damper and how long it should take to even get to 750.

Thanks for the help!