Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Chicago - out on THE LEDGE!!

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
still having a blast in chicago ....today we went up the sears tower (i still cant' bring myself to call it by its new name the "willis" tower) ... this summer they opened up 'the ledge' . ..3 plexi-glass 'boxes' up on 103rd floor sky deck that stick 4 feet outside the deck. ..plexi glass on all sides including the floor.. ..its like you are stepping out into space 1,353 feet above wacker drive!!!. ...it was just unbelievable. . .catherine, sam and i did it (sydney did not) ....i hope the pics do it justice. ..

here is a pic looking up at the sears tower from street level. .. .

cleveland-chicago09078.jpg

and zooming in on the glass boxes from street level. ..

cleveland-chicago09077.jpg

it was a spectacular, clear day in chicago. ...looking northeast towards the hancock building. ..

cleveland-chicago09093.jpg

and here i am out on 'the ledge' ... looking down 1353 feet between my shoes at the street below me!!!. ..pretty freeky. ...its like you are free floating. ..

cleveland-chicago09098.jpg

and here i am lying out in space. ...this was a favorite picture taking pose most people do there if they are up to it. .LOL. .

cleveland-chicago09100.jpg

and here is sam doing the same. .

cleveland-chicago09101.jpg

and here is me, catherine and sam. .. .out in space...

cleveland-chicago09104.jpg

and here are some pics of the boxes next to ours so you can get the perspective ....

cleveland-chicago09102.jpg

cleveland-chicago09107.jpg

and one more of the street straight down. . .

cleveland-chicago09106.jpg

without question, this was worth every minute of the 2 hour wait in line to get up there. .. it was the coolest thing ever!!!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Thanks for sharing Max! Did you even have a tinge on your first step?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I heard about those boxes a couple weeks ago -- incredible marketing idea.

I love the view of Chicago from either that tower or the Hancock building. Great restaurant and bar on top of the Hancock. Chicago is one of my favorite cities to just walk around and have a few cold ones.

Looks like y'all are having a great trip Max.
  • oh yeah, it was a big "OH S%^T" moment for me. .. catherine and sam went right out there. . . . lots of folks couldn't do it. .. got right to the edge and no further LOL .. ..you saw the full range of emotions on this one. ...i was ok once i was out there though, but it definintely took me a moment. ..
  • oh yeah, it was a 2 full hour wait to get up there. .. i've always prefered the veiws from the top of the "****" myself cause its right next to the lake even if its 10 stories lower than the sears tower. ..i was in the bar there once when two window washers came down the outside. .. that alone almost made me puke!!!> ..we were saying that we could do a 3 week trip to chicago and do nothing but EAT!!!!. .. had a late lunch at ****'s tropical delight right on the chicago river under the marina towers. ..i kept waving at the folks on the tourist boats saying anyone that waved back was thinking more about food and less about the architecture!!! LOL ...
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Max-WOW. definitely not for me. Did you jump up and down like you were in an elavator???? BTW, stopped by New Holland today, saw Warren bill, & met Nature Boy. Didn't stick around for the judging though :( . My mom taught me not to stand out in the rain. :laugh:
    Brian
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    And would be scampering to get out of that thing. LOL Nice pics Max.

Mike
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Great shots Max.I am well aware of the tinge or tingle effect when you look down.Just hope your pant's are dry.Looks like you are having a great time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    The river architecture cruise is really a good way to spend a late morning. Very enjoyable to get the history of the city and the buildings.

Do yourself a favor if you have time - go to Gibson's steakhouse - just a couple blocks west of Michigan Ave. The steaks are OK, but they have the absolute best blue cheese wedge salad you will ever have. I know it sounds nuts to recommend a salad at a well known top shelf steak house, but it really is that good.

Also, Gene and Georgetti's has the best toasted ravioli you'll ever have. You can also stop into Joe's Stone Crab and get some colossal claws. There is really some great food in that town.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Great pics Max,,, Looks and sounds like the family is having a good time. Good thing you got that jumping out of your system at the R&R Hall of Fame :ohmy: :P :woohoo:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    wow max!!

i heard and seen a couple things about those boxes on tv but i am not sure i could do it :pinch:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I'll be there with the family next weekend.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    WOW thanks for sharing!! I would love to see all of that. what a city!! I love to visit the cities but just can not imagine living with that every day LOL
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Oh Max, that made my heart fall to my feet just looking at the picture. You are one brave soul. They have one of those in the Grand Canyon too. They built it after our visit, thank heaven. That's one of those things that you know you have to experience but I don't know if I could take that first step....way to go!
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I got the heebeegeezes just lookin at your photo's,...gulp. :ohmy: :pinch:
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Good Lord, Max!!! :laugh: Have you lost it completely??!! I did one of those things in Copper Canyon, Mexico a couple of years ago, but, it wasn't plexiglass.....it was a metal mesh with a rail and I gotta tell you my legs started hurting so bad I barely could step out over the abyss.......I'll pass on these "heighth" things...... :silly:
  • Thats really cool Max I think I would have been hanging back with Sydney. I don't know if I would trust the only thing between me and the street 1353 feet below to a sheet of Glass. :ohmy: With my luck Little Johnny would have decided to have target practice with the glass boxes. :ohmy: :laugh: It does look like fun though. Sounds like you all had a good time. :)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    just floating in space.....how cool.....did you do a high knee jig on the glass.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I knew you where a smart man John!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Okay you realize bridge collapse right? That is a bridge to no where if there ever was one!

Don't know if I could do it. Good of Sydney to take pictures of the rest of the family though :>)

Enjoy the drive home.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Hey Max, I remember the elevator ride was like a rocket ship ride - very fast.
  • Thanks for sharing Max, I have worked there many times, those must be new

Ross
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Cool pics! Thanks for sharing. B)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Sooo cool! I'm glad Sam was there to keep you in line! Awesome pics. Did it spook you a little?
  • oh yeah, folks were jumping up and down, bumping against the windows, etc. .. . pretty wild.. . i had my wife out there in her wheel chair. .. she kept grabbing my arm and shaking me!!!! ....i was a little shaky but hung tough... .LOL. . . it was quite the experience.!!
  • yeah, some folks got their toes right to the edge and just couldn't hack going any further. ...they just froze in place!!
  • yeah, i made sure i peed before going up just to make sure!!. ..i was surprised they don't sell t-shirts that say "i puked on the ledge" or something like that!!
  • LOL. .. yeaah, no pete townsend leaps in the glass box for me, dats for sure!!!
  • i know a big sissy like you would need plenty of hand holding, thats for sure terry!!. ..to be honest, i wasn't sure if i could do it or not. ...took me a minute to take that first step. . .i sort of had to sneak up on it if you know what i mean. ..
  • hey al, you need to email me before you leave. ... got lots of tips for you on places to go, things to see, places to eat, etc ...

and the ledge is definitely one place you gotta go!!!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Someone could make a million with an undershorts concession just outside those babies. :woohoo: