Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok and Paella pan for LBGE?

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have to be in the neighborhood of a restaurant supply store later today and since I know they stock woks, I thought I might pick one up. I'm thinking I should get a 14" carbon steel with steel handles. That sound about right? Do I "need" a spider or can I just set it directly on the coals?

Not sure if they sell carbon steel paella pans, but if so, I might grab one of those too. 13 1/2" plus handles is the size I saw mentioned somewhere. Will that be best for a Large Egg?

Any advice appreciated... Thanks!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• eggineric
    Options
    I bought the wok from Tom at The Ceramic Grill Store. It is carbon steel and I think it is 16". I also bought the spider. That setup works well for stir fry. I am also going to buy a paella pan. I think I will buy that from La Tienda. I am going to buy the 15" and bend the handles upward. That way I can cook for a couple more people. Just my two cents. Good Luck.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    http://www.latienda.com

ee
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Paella pans are a bit tricky, because they have different size handles. If you are going to be able to see the pan and measure the distance from handle to handle, no sweat. Measure the inside of your egg and then get a pan 1/2 inch less than that or smaller. I like to make paella by placing the pan on a raised grid. Here is a link to my webpage on paella which contains far more information than I am willing to type again, lol! It contains measurements for some of the different brands of pans.

Paella Primer

Also, if you go to the miscellaneous section of my recipe page, I've got some recipes to go with it just for fun:

Miscellaneous Recipes

Good luck. Paella is loads of fun!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I found my wok at the restaurant supply store. Picked up a hand-hammered 14" carbon steel with steel handles. The wooden handled one I already have in my kitchen is plenty large enough for my needs and that size seems to fit the egg well.

I didn't get the paella pan. Oh, they HAD them, but this store's prices are hard to figure. Some things are dirt cheap (the wok was only $12), but he wanted nearly $50 for a 13" carbon steel paella pan!! Didn't even look like a very nice one. I feel an online purchase coming soon.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    ok, Newbie.... :P
    If you are talkin smack about your new toy, you gotta show some pics.

Glad to see you up and running Mike!

Ron
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:
    ok, Newbie.... :P
    If you are talkin smack about your new toy, you gotta show some pics.

Glad to see you up and running Mike!

Ron

"Noob", if you please. :P

When I cook something that deserves to have it's picture taken, I will post one. :laugh: My only cook so far was a small eye round roast (un-seared) that looked kind of anemic. Tasted pretty good, considering I overcooked it (medium well is NOT what I was going for!), but not particularly photogenic.

Tonight, a whole chicken. Tomorrow, baby backs!

Pics? Maybe.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut