Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone done Orange roughy?

Options
Mully
Mully Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Gal picked up a bag of frozen Orange Roughy (sp)
and I would like some Idea's for cooking it on the egg.
We are not big fish eaters and I don't know a whole lot about it neither.I did cook some Mahi Mahi a few wks back and it was put near taysty!!
Let me have em!!
Keep on Cookin on
Mully

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mully,
    If you have some good solid pieces, they do great right on the grill. I cut the big filets into manageable pieces, cover wth a dry (or wet) rub for a half hour then grill over a hot fire for a couple minutes a side. It is not as firm as MahiMahi, and requires a very gentle finger aided flip. You could also cube and skewer it, and give it a similar hot/fast cooking treatment.[p]With flaky fish like Orange Roughy, the key is to flip only once, and don't wait til it wants to flake before flipping. Flip as soon as you get a good brown color on side 1.[p]You could also do the wrap-in-foil thing on the grill, but I never understood that one.
    Hope that helps!
    Yell if you have more questions.[p]Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mully
    Options
    Thanks Chris!! I will take that advise for sure and try not to mangle it!LOL
    What do you prefer to rub with or marinade in??May I ask??
    Mully[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Mully,
    I usually use rubs I designed for fish, but a citrussy kinda thing works really well. Like a lemon pepper kinda thing. Corriander seed, lemon peel, garlic powder, pepper, salt kinda thing. Any citrussy rub you have would prolly work. Even a little Old Bay or cajun rub, though you don't want anything too heavily flavored since the fish you are using is so mild. Maybe even salt, pepper and some orange zest and make a sauce from reduced orange juice with a little onion and ginger.[p]Also have had purty good fish with a paste of mustard, oil, lime juice and some rub. Even a sesame oil/soy kind of thing can work really well. Depends what you are serving it with.[p]Hope that is not too many ideas....sometimes I get to ramblin.
    Yes, don't mangle the fish! If your pieces look easily mangleable, then you might try a fish grid.
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    do you think your maple/butter concoction would work on the orange roughy?

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Sure Wil. I like it on chicken too. Might not be magical like maple and salmon, but it makes a pretty good and simple glaze for a lot of things.
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Mully
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the advise bud!
    Raging River,salt peper all in butter with a dash of lemon zest ought to do it!!
    thanks
    Mully

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Mully, Now you be thinkin! Did not realize you had Raging River. That has the citrus, corriander, the salt and the pepper in it already. A little extra lemon zest and butter sounds good.
    Man....now I am hungry.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Mully,[p]Try using a cast iron skillet for flaky fish...put a little alder wood some little olive oil in the pan/griddle and fry it right there...imparts a delicate smokey essonce~