Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole striped bass recipies

Options
atlBBQ
atlBBQ Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
looking for a few good ideas for Friday night to do a whole striped bass. All recipies welcome. :)

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    No idea,I wish I could help. :(
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    Filet it. Marinate in thousand island dressing over night or for a few hours. Plank (or not) the steaks and cook around 350-400 till done.
    We call em rockfish from where I come from. This is how I do them twice a year from our trips on the Chesapeake Bay. This spring we got some 44+ inchers. Huge filets from them.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    only way ive ever cooked it was to toss a bunch of rock weed on the grill then the fillets skin side down and pour margarita mix on it while it cooked/steamed on the egg. seen a really good recipe from emerile where it was floured and fried then either a lemon or lime beurre blanc sauce drizzled on top, looked really good and have been wanting to go striper fishing ever since. i would bake it and make tthe sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Atl Newb....Is this a fresh or salt water bass? What size is it whole?? Depending on the answers, there are many many options for whole fish, to include even a salt crust. :);) Respond back, and I can throw some ideas at you. ;)
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Hey,
    I went fishing a few months ago and brought home several beautiful and large striper filets. My brother-in-law and I cooked them up several ways. We did them blackened, in lemon and garlic butter, and seared with herbs on a skillet. The striper is such a delicate and mild fish, I preferred the garlic butter and lemon flavor. It was very easy to make. Although it's not a whole fish recipe, you may want to try it. Simply crush or finely chop a clove of garlic and mix it in a tablespoon of butter. Put a cast iron skillet on your egg and preheat at 400. Put garlic butter mix in and coat the skillet as the butter and garlic brown. Lay the fish fillet in skin side up and give the fillet a good sear. Flip the fillet skin side down and let that sear. Squeeze some lemon juice on the fish. Add some seasoned salt. Close your egg and let it bake/sear until the fish is about 140. Squeeze some more lemon juice on it and salt more if you'ld like. Voila, it's done! You may blacken in a skillet as well.
  • rho1640
    rho1640 Posts: 118
    Options
    you could also saute some onion, mushroom, and celery in butter - then mix with a little breadcrumbs and cut up shrimp, crab and if you have them scallops - stuff the fish lay some bacon on top of it and bake it ...
  • Hey Little Chef,
    Can you share the process for whole fish in a salt crust? One of the most memorable meals I ever had was at a chiringuito (beach bar) in Marbella, Spain. They skewered a whole fish that was covered in salt and cooked it standing up over a hardwood fire that was burning in a boat just a few yards from the restaurant. I would love to try to recreate the dish on my egg. Of course it might not be as good as I remember since I don't have the sea out my back door but its worth a try.
    Do you use kosher or rock salt? I assume it should be cooked on a grid with the platesetter legs up. Do you have the fish gutted with the head on? How long should it cook? Any suggestions on added wood for smoke? I have pecan, hickory and cherry chunks and apple chips.
    Thanks for your help.