Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egger - first cook(s) photos

Options
CJ
CJ Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This group of folks has been supremely helpful with advice as I've made the leap into owning a BGE. (I bought a used Large BGE with some advice and help from this forum, and also had some help ordering a replacement screen assembly and other issues.)

Thought I'd share what I've been doing with this thing for your comments and enjoyment.

1st cook ever - calzones. My wife and I have made home-made calzones (store-bought dough) for years in the electric oven and I wanted to start off the BGE experience with something we could both enjoy (she's not a big eater of typical BBQ stuff). So we made ours up, fired up the egg, used our old trusty pizza stone that we've had for years, and voila, best calzones we've ever made. Cooked for about 25 minutes at ~400-425 dome. Mine (left) was pepperoni, red bell peppers, mozzarella cheese. Hers is pepperoni, mushrooms, feta, and mozzarella.

calzones081209.jpg

Second cook, more traditional BBQ - three racks of Baby Back Ribs. Had my father-in-law and next door neighbor over to help me eat them. I have two brothers-in-law who cook BBQ often and I used their "secret" rub. I had some trouble managing temperature so the egg got hotter than I wanted (up to 350 for a while) and the ribs were done more quickly than expected (~3 hours vs. 4.5 expected), but they were tender, with a nice smoke ring, good smoky flavor, and lots of compliments all round. Turned out great.

For technique, I was pretty much winging it but based on a few recipes I've seen here I did a few things:

- Used Wicked Good Weekend Warrior lump for the main lump source.
- Sprinkled in some Jack Daniels wood chips and one decent sized chunk of hickory.
- I noticed in my first cook that the WG was slow to light, so I filled up my chimney starter with Cowboy, got it good and roaring, and dumped it on top of the pile of WG.
- Then quickly put in the platesetter, grid, ribs, and set vents for what I thought was going to be 250 (this turned out to be my problem, now that I've found Grandpa's Grub great post with pictures of vent settings).
- "Sprayed" with apple juice (actually used a juice box from the stash we keep for the little ones) at about 2 hours
- Brushed on sauce about 30 minutes before I pulled them (grabbed a bottle of Sticky Fingers Tennessee Whiskey sauce out of the pantry.)

ribs081809.jpg

All in all, great ribs and good fun. Even had a half-rack of leftovers for work later in the week.

Steak tomorrow night, spatchcock chicken this weekend. Enjoying the egg immensely thus far.

Comments

• otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    Looks like a great start. Welcome
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Did you ever think you would have this much fun with food?
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Welcome to Cult CJ, good job you well get better at the temp, get a MAPPS from Home Depot or Lowes for lighting your Egg

Ross
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Good looking cooks. Welcome to the cult!
    I have a heck of a time finishing ribs without getting scorched areas. A helpful hint to avoid this is to avoid adding any kinds of sugars to your meat until the very last phase of the cook. This includes juice, sauce and sugared rubs. Sugars burn very easily, and I have been very frustrated to see the ends and edges of my ribs get burned by either a hot draft or radiant heat from my coals as my dome temp is well below 400.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Also welcome to the cult - be careful not to drink the koolaide else more eggs show up :)

Seems to me you're pickng up the hang of eggin'. Temp control will come with experience as Ross stated. I use a plain jane propane torch to fire up the lump however I read the MAPPs is a lot hotter and get the lump going quicker.

Good luck and looking fwd to pics of your cooks.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Looks like you hit the ground running and off to a great start. Keep the cooks and pics coming . . . we
    like pics! :cheer:

Good luck
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Good Job! Looks real good. Welcome
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Good morning! and it looks like you are off and running :) the only thing I would suggest is to not use the Pampered chef stone on the egg. they will snap on you :)
  • EggheadOwl
    Options
    Mmmmm. LOOKS GOOD!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Very nice, CJ. Welcome to Egghood. Looks like you did great on your first couple of cooks. Watch for the throwdown this weekend to see how people are going to pull off cooking rice on the egg.

Have fun.
    Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • slo-ryd
    slo-ryd Posts: 27
    Options
    Nice work!

Reminds me.....I better get some ribs from Sams tomorrow :whistle:
    LBGE w/modified Whiz table, Webers and such.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    CJ....Welcome!!! The more you cook, the better it will get!! ;) Nicely done, and thanks for sharing your pics as well! :) Great looking cooks! ;) Welcome to the family! ;)