Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Preparing for first overnight pulled pork

Teach42
Teach42 Posts: 219
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so I've done about 4 cooks on the Egg and am ready to do my first overnighter. Decided to do some pulled pork so I went over to Costco and picked up a shoulder. A large shoulder. A 16 pound boneless shoulder. Upon waking up in the morning I realized that's probably FAR more than I really need.

So I have three questions now:
1) Is this most likely a Butt and Picnic cut? And if so, can I split them to save one for later and do one now?

2) Should I just cook the whole thing and have a ton of leftovers? How well does this refrigerate or freeze?

3) Is there a formula for how long I should plan on it cooking based on the number of pounds?

Thanks for the help!

Steve

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Teach42,

You probably have two 8lb Butts. Cook one and freeze one or cook two and vac seal the leftovers. This is the reccommended method.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Queestion #1 I can't help with. #2 if you have room I would cook'em all. Pulled pork is the only method of cooking pork that is almost as good out of the freezer as it is fresh. Pork chops, pork loin, even ribs just are no where near as good and in some cases just nasty. Not so with pull pork IMO.Makes for a might fine meal in a hurry. #3 is every chunk of meat has its own time table. I gave up trying to pin down the hour a long time ago. Some work with a formula so to speak based on pounds. Remember a 10 lb chunk of meat will cook a lot slower than 10 lbs of meat such as 2 five lb buts.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Check and see if they are two eight pounders. If not cut it in half. Either cook both and vac seal in meal size portions or freeze one for later. I usually cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours a pound @ 225 grate temp. I take them off the egg at about 195-200 internal temp. wrap in towels and rest in a cooler for a couple of hours.
    I have had them finish 4 hours before dinner time and they where still 185 internal when I took them out of the cooler.
  • Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    Well, I'll be darned! From the front it looked like one massive piece of meat, but when I opened that bag up you guys were absolutely right... there were two 8 pounders in there!

So I wrapped and foiled one and threw it in the freezer, and the other one went back into the fridge. Will rub it down tomorrow, throw it in the egg on Saturday, and then Sunday is chow day!

Thanks for the help!
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Good luck and enjoy the night.

Rick in Mt.
  • When I buy butts at Costco there are always two in the cryovac bag. Before going to bed make sure your egg is stable with a dome temp of 250. Will probably be 225 when you get up. Good luck.