Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

little pizza help

Options
tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gave pizza another shot tonight, second attempt in all my years of egging. Just to lazy to make ‘em. These were Pappa Murphy's thin crust, baked in their paper pans.

Picture006.jpg

Took the egg with stone to 500 degrees, then brought temp down to 400-450. Figured jumping the temp would help heat the stone. Only used one 16-inch stone high in the dome. Gave the set-up a good 45-60 minutes to settle in. Pizzas cooked for 12-15 minutes each.

The difference between these two pizzas when compared to baking in the oven is the crust was firmer and chewier from the egg. It crunched when rolled with the cutter. Typically in the oven the dough comes out soft and flimsy. There was not much smoke flavor, heck no smoke flavor. The lump was ozark oak.

Picture009.jpg

So here is the question. What the heck am I looking for when doing pizzas in the egg compared to the oven? Is the crust thing the answer? Just wondering if I’m looking for texture, flavor, both or what!

Kelsie liked ‘em better off the egg than baking in the oven. She likes the crust’s texture.

thanks, t
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• eggineric
    Options
    I like the flavor. The charcoal adds some, but I throw a handful of chips in with every pizza. I like to use mesquite, apple, and cherry.

ee
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Honestly, I have all but given up on using my pizza stone for pizza. (I do use it for stromboli.) I have noticed all of the things you mention. My best pizza results seem to be when cooking my pizza indirect on a raised grid, far away from the radiant heat of the coals. The heat and smoke hit the bottom of the crust making it crisp and nicely smoky. If it's raised, it's less likely to burn. My wife likes it best this way too!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I made a couple pizzas on the mini and small this weekend. My first try.
    Purchased the dough and fresh toppings.
    The cheese had so much moisture I had to drain the water off the little deep dish. It just ran off the the two small thinner crust pizzas. Crust was good with a nice smokey flavor. Crust is just as good cooking on a pizza stone in my oven.
    We have a couple places in town that make a real good pizza. For me, cooking pizza on the Egg is not worth my time. Might be fun for a party. Even if they come out a "little" better on the Egg the time and money involed cancel this out. $12.00-$14.00 for a real good delivered pizza is hard to pass up.
    Hats off to you Eggers that make your own dough and have the skills to spin the skin.
    Might try the little cast iron deep dish pizza again.
    darian

IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Shame on you for not making your own dough.All I can say try it and you wont go back.You will find that the crust is better in the Egg and will not have any hot spots.I am a firm believer of getting that pie high up in the dome.The main benifit is getting the top to cook well and not wind up with a burnt bottom.Go get yourself a Kitchen Aid mixer and have some fun.
  • tjv
    Options
    thanks for the tip, I guess since the burn is so hot, no smoke. t
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    IMO the egg gives the pizza a different taste and texture than the regular household oven. It's similar to a brick oven retaurant type pie. A good dough reacts better. And I love my stone.
  • tjv
    Options
    I may need to figure this pizza thing out, Kelsie will be the deciding factor, as she is the pizza kid. t
  • tjv
    Options
    me a baker.....I'd pay to see that one......LOL. T
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    My young daughter didnt like pizza off the egg at first because it was too smokey tasting. Then I learned to cook at a higher temp, say 550. Now she loves it.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Sure wish we had Papa Murphys back. The left this state for some reason.