Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sticky thermo?

bitslammer
bitslammer Posts: 818
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You know you should go with your gut when after 3 times you say to yourself "that thermometer can't be right."

Looks like my done thermo's needle is "sitcky" because after giving it a good smack it shot from 250-450. I think my wings will be fine (I'm doing indirect) but a couple will be more along the blackened stage. This explains why my last few cooks seemed like I wasn't hitting temp at a normal pace.

Anyone ever have their dome thermometer stick? Any quick cures or should I just get a new one.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I am a little concerned about 1 of my 4 BGE thermometers, the red needle is not parallel to the face of the thermometer. At 400° or so the needle is extremely close to or touching the face, been that way since it was new.

Seems to be working fine at this time so, I'll leave things alone.

If yours is somewhat new and dragging it possibly could be a warranty fix. If not and you have to buy, then order a Tru-Tel thermometer.

GG
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Thanks GG. I forgot about Tel-Tru. Looks like some good quality products.
  • Pickle
    Pickle Posts: 74
    If you get the tru-tel, I would recommend getting the shorter stem. I have had problems with raised grid cooks with the larger stem. It can easily get lodged into the meat, and give you a false reading. Took me entirely too long to figure out why my grill wasn't getting hot, and almost ruined a brisket.
  • Just remember that if you use the short stem Tel-Tru thermometer, you should adjust the reading up by 10 to 15% because the short stem doesn't stick into the cooker far enough to get an accurate reading:

Which Tel-Tru Thermometer?
    The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,869
    the Tel-Tru is 5" vs the 4" on a BGE. Ways to deal with that extra 1" is kicked around here on a regular basis and is quite easy to overcome. I'd rather do that than constantly try to interpret what the temp really is due to the misreading problem with the shorter stem.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.