Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

leg of lamb

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
how to cook a boneless leg of lamb???flat or rolled...direct or indirect?...thanks,

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Beryl,[p]The answer is "Yes!" If I'm cooking flat, I trim the meat (if need be) to get as uniform thickness as possible, and cook hot (450°+) and direct. Never tried it, but the TRex method might work well here.[p]Rolled I cook indirect around 250°.[p]Both are delicious.[p]Ken
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Beryl:[p]Either way will work. I leave mine rolled up in the mesh and season with salt, pepper, oregano, plenty of olive oil, garlic (pierced and inserted as well as topical), and some lemon. It is really better to let marinate covered in the refrigerator for a couple of days.[p]I cook direct at about 350º to an internal of 118º to 120º then pull for a short rest. The rest let the internal temperature rise to just above 125º at the thickest point of the roll. Great served with tezeki sauce.[p]Pictured are eggplant from the garden and Portobello mushrooms with blue cheese using drbbq's recipe.[p]
    lol2.jpg[p]lol3.jpg
    [/b]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    djm5x9,[p]WOW! That looks great...! All of it! [p]We were just discussing lamb roasts this morning and then I come online and find this beautiful picture, now I've GOTTA do one! [p]Tell me more about those eggplant spears...spices, times, marinade or not, etc...[p]Mmmmmmm!
    Tonia
    :~)

• djm5x9
    QBabe:[p]The eggplant is the purple Asian kind simply halved long ways then halved again for ease in handling. They are then drizzled liberally with olive oil and seasoned with your favorite seasoning or something like Lawry's. Prepare and let sit for about twenty minutes prior to grilling. The goal is to cook the eggplant till soft, about fifteen to twenty minutes at 350º with the skin down. Place the eggplant around the perimeter of the cooker avoiding the hot spot.
  • djm5x9,
    thanks, looks great...open or closed????thanks again,

• djm5x9
    Beryl:[p]I always cook everything direct and dome down.
    [/b]
  • djm5x9,
    I see you left the stems on the mushrooms. Any reason to do it with or without? I've been doing them without and covering the whole cap with a single slice of cheese. Do they make good handles? :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • djm5x9
    Whiz:[p]They came with a trimmed stem still attached. They were well attached so I left them not wanting to damage the caps. Normally I remove the stems and chop them up for mushroom soup in addition to sliced and whole caps.
    [/b]
  • djm5x9,
    Please check your email your blocker has me listed as suspect
    thanks JOHN

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    djm5x9,
    Looks mighty fine and tasty. Haven't done lamb yet but it's on the list.

• Shelby, Leg of lamb is second most cooked on my egg after butts. Left overs are gyros! I love tseze....tzazee....that cucumber and yogurt stuff.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    The Other Dave,[p]I don't know anyone who knows how to spell it but it's great with lots of dishes......[p]Woo

[ul][li]that tzazee cucumber yogurt stuff recipe[/ul]
  • djm5x9,[p]I found it interesting that you use direct for the lamb. I think it would give a better crust andt taste. I have done mine indirect but shall try direct next time.[p]I thought that you may have a bit of trouble with flare ups doing it direct though. Is this an issue?[p]Regards,
    Hugh.

• djm5x9
    Hugh:[p]Lamb being relatively lean there are no problems with flare-ups.
    [/b]