Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Juniper Berry Pork Loin Roast Steaks - Worth a Try

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]I had half a Pork Loin thawed adn was looking for a recipe to try with it, getting tired of the herb rubs, jelly rolls etc. and wanted to try something a bit different. I think it was last months Southern Living that had a recipe for pork chops, thought I could use the Loin and just make steaks out of it.[p]I cut the loin into steaks about 1 1/2 inches thick and put them into a glass dish. The marinade was 1 cup of GOOD dry red wine, a bit of balsamic vinegar (recipe called for red wine vinegar), fresh sage, fresh rosemary (straight from the herb garden, yummm), garlic and about 2 teaspoons of juniper berries. This gets whisked together and poured over the pork for 3-8 hours (I did about 5). Remove the pork, reserve the marinade in a small sauce pot and boil for a minute or two. I cooked them direct over a 400 degree fire for about 8 minutes a side basting with the leftover marinade 2-3 times each side.[p]The pork came out awesome. Be sure to use good wine as the flavor really comes through from the marinade. Drink the remainder of the bottle with the dinner.[p]Enjoy, let me know if you try this and how you like it. It's a nice departure from just throwing the whole loin on and cooking it and its EASY.[p]Troy

Comments

• sprinter
    BTW, I forgot to mention that I took a pretty good handful of that sage wood/bush that I cut earlier this spring and threw it on the fire, nice addition again. It has a unique flavor but with the sage in the marinade already it worked well. Also, a couple of bay leaves were in the marinade. I almost remember the whole thing. Really, it was only one bottle of wine, I promise, I had to work today.[p]Troy
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    sprinter,
    One gallon bottle? Of the really good wine with the screw top?

• sprinter
    Bama Fire,[p]Hey, if thats what you ike to drink, marinade/drink away. Personally I used a Berringer Estate Reserve 1991 Cabernet. Pretty tasty. I wanted to drink the whole bottle but I chose it to cook with 'cause I KNEW I could drink the rest with dinner.[p]Troy
  • Bama Fire
    sprinter,
    I was in the Napa Vally last November and picked up a bottle of the best wine I've ever tasted! 1991 Cakebread Cab. Absolutly beautful! Full bodied, without too much tannin. A slight fruit finish. Wow! It's too bad they like the wine as much as I do -- judging by the price tag![p]B~F

• sprinter
    bama Fire,[p]Good wine is definitely a passion of mine. I've collected for years, not much in the cellar now but I do love a good bottle of wine. Cooking with wine is a blast also, really makes a difference in the way things taste. This pork loin had the biggest wine flavor I've ever gotten in anything I've ever grilled and it was a pleasant surprise.[p]The in-laws were in Napa last summer as well, brought back a lot of Clos duBois (?) Merlot, what a treat.
    Troy

• Bama Fire
    sprinter,
    I generally use a splash (1/4 cup?) of red when marinating steaks along with worshester, dales, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Love it![p]As for Clos du Bois, I know I've had their chardonnay -- pretty nice. I can't recall their reds.[p]Have you tried a Pinot Noir by Morgan? One of my FAVORITES! ($17 a bottle) So it's not outrageously high, but a "celebration" wine for my wife and I. [p]B~F