Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EggNest questions

Options
Petie
Petie Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When in doubt - ask the Eggsperts! :)

How stable is a medium or large egg in the factory nest? Does it want to move in a heavy wind? (wheels don't look like they lock) Anyone replace the wheels with larger diameter ones or locking type? Don't want to make it more tip prone but sure seems larger wheels would help move it.

Trying to decide between the nest/shelves package or taking all the time to build a cart. Has to be mobile as live in hurricane territory.
Thanks.

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    The new nest are pretty stable but can still tip over if you are not careful. I have not hurricane tested mine as I will bring it in in that event. It may be my only means of cooking for several weeks after. Where are you located?
  • Petie
    Options
    Near Baton Rouge, LA. Has Gustav last year - 92mph!

Yea wanting mobile for that. Two thoughts - compact version in nest so easy to move into shed or house OR in a mobile table that I put on the downwind side of house and tie down somehow.

In nest with non-locking wheels I worry about it traveling during the night in a heavy wind. Could end up in pool or crashed. May not be a real thing to be concerned about but we do get some strong storms at times.
  • EggheadOwl
    Options
    We just bought two medium eggs with nests. The way I see it, they are built like scissors. One bolt holding a giant " X " in place. It seems I'm the only one having this problem, but when I try to roll the nest 10 feet from my garage to the driveway, the " X " wants to collapse on itself. ( Imagine scissors coming together on one end and opening at the other )

I'm going to contact BGE to see what the problem might be, but the nest is pretty straightforward.

If we had it to do over again, we'd have not bought the nests or the tables, and spent that money on a pre-fab table.

Just my 2 cents, and remember that I'm a total BGE noob, so my opinion is based on VERY limited experience. :whistle:
  • Petie
    Options
    Been following your posts on the nest issues. Sure can understand it as there is nothing to prevent the 2 leg sets from rotating if they are not pinching the egg. A possible simple solution would be to drill a hole in the bottom flat parts and add a 1X3 board to prevent the legs from scissoring together.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I replaced the factory castors on my XL nest with larger locking ones.Here's a couple pics :)

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg
  • Petie
    Options
    Man those would work!! Could have an egg version of soap-box-derby! Them be racing wheels :)
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Mine are on my second floor deck which has very high winds much of the time. It is completely stable. (My Large is now in a table but my Medium is still in the nest.)

For hurricanes I move it inside (I am 25 miles from Gulf) but honestly it would probably do fine for a minimal hurricane but that would be like leaving a pet outside. Plus, even if it did not blow away you don't what may come crashing into it.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • EggheadOwl
    Options
    Petie, we are going to get a metal strap of some sort and link two of the "legs" together. That should keep the crossing members from being able to move together.
    Then, we are going to either buy or build a table for it. Then, I can stop bothering everyone on the forums with my problem, and start bothering them with endless questions about cookin' on the thing! :)
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    The Nest for our Large did that at first too. When I disassembled the Egg down to its component parts and rebuilt it to correct the dealer's many goofs I tightened all of the fasteners of the Nest too, and the problem went away. Not the slightest hint of "scissoring" any more. I suspect the only problem is that the screw and nut at the crossing point is loose.