Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE Assembly Question

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
According to the assembly video on the BGE website, when you tighten the bolts holding the bands in place, the bolts are supposed to BEND!! And they demo this with what appears to be a 3/8" drive socket. I've never in my life tightened a steel bolt so tight that it bent! Is this legit?

Don't want to break the egg, but I don't want it to come apart when I use it either! What have you guys done with yours? Thanks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Yes it is legit. You'll break the bolt before you damage the egg. Also be sure to check them again after a couple of cooks. Just keep the power tools in the garage. Don't ask me how I know this :whistle::blush:
  • BDubb
    BDubb Posts: 3
    Options
    the mini bolts do not bend like the other sizes. the bolts are made of defferent metal, just make sure it is good and tight. i would not worry to much about breaking the egg.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Michael, I am not trying to stir trouble with this. But your dealer charging nearly $100 to assemble new eggs is just taking advantage of customers. If it was me, I would take the egg back, get my money and deal with a more respectable dealer. I know it is probably too late, but any good dealer would assemble, possibly deliver and help get you started for less than that.

I was in a dealer the other day who offered to have the delivery guy stay after he brought the egg to the house and get it started the first time to show the new owner a few things. (shaking my head at the laziness of some)
  • Petie
    Petie Posts: 29
    Options
    Local dealer here charges $18-20 extra for a fully assembled egg/nest/shelves versus carry out in factory packaged boxes. Super reasonable I think.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Gene, no worries, my friend. I looked at a number of places and got the best deal I could find. Got tired of shopping anyway so now it's mine. Still in pieces, but it's mine. It's all good. :cheer:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Crimsongator
    Options
    I agree. That is very reasonable. My other thought is, how does a dealer really know if the egg has survived all the transportation unless they put it together and inspect. If it gets to the customer and has an issue, now it has to come back to the store, replaced, etc. That adds way more time and money to the equation.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I will get off my jiffy cornbread soapbox :-)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    $100 bucks to assemble an egg? That's $50/hour! Can I get a full time job doing that? :cheer:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Youre gettin there Mike. After she's assembled and cooking, you will be better off having had the experience of putting her together. Never know when you may need to dissasemble and already having the knowledge will be great.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    If you do, let me know if they have any other openings. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• grillmandan
    Options
    Power tools? Can't belive you would use power toos on an Egg.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, Pat. Guess I'll bend some bolts!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut