Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to buy a table...

EggheadOwl
EggheadOwl Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I thought I should put this in the table forum, since we are on the verge of buying one after owning the egg for a grand total of one day!

My question is if anyone who switched over to a table from the legs(ie the "nest"), tried to reinforce the nest legs in some way before making the move to the table set-up? I'm having trouble keeping the nest for the medium sized egg from "twisting" even though all the bolts are tight. We also got the "wings" for it, that I suppose will have to come off when we move our egg into the table - is that right?

Lastly, the wheels on the BGE tables that you buy, are they heavy duty enough to be moved around every time I want to grill( 2-3 times a week)?

Thanks all! Can't wait to get my egg situated in a new home( whatever that is ;) ...table or reinforced nest) and get down to some cookin' :woohoo:

Comments

• Before I moved my Egg to the back deck I had it in the garage and moved it 2-3 weeks for about a month and have not noticed any issues with the wheels other than having to cut some wood to make a small ramp into my garage.
  • I would make sure the nest is put together right It shouldnt twist. If you decide to go with a table the nest and mates would be useless. The casters are heavy duty. I built the table for my XL and it has no problems. You may come out a lot cheaper in building your own table their not that hard.
  • Thanks guys. I'm hearing from everyone that the nest shoudn't twist, but even someone on the forum here noticed it in a pic i posted.

Imagine the nest at the center bolt. It's a giant "X" and the ends seem to want to "come together", even though the middle bolt is as tight as it's going to get and the locking nut( or washer) is on there and everything.

As for me building something. :) I can barely build a sammich! :woohoo:

I called this morning and the tables around here are selling for $390 for the shorty with wheels for a med. egg.
    We're going to look into something else until we can save up the $$ for that I think.
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    It's not too hard if you have access to a miter saw. I built my compact cedar table for the same price as a nest. Got most everything at Lowes. Spent several nights working on it. Definitely worth the time and effort.

3792739409_b2861a36a6.jpg
  • I have had a medium in a nest for almost two years and I have never had any problems with the nest twisting. When i take it places I loosen the bolts so the nest is flat and will fit in the car, then I retighten the bolts when we get to our new location and never any twisting.
    I think you need to take it back to your dealer where you got it and have them fix or get you a new one.
    If you over tightened the bolts and striped the threads on the nut or bolt that could cause them to not be tight enough and new nuts & bolts would take care of the problem.
    You should not have any twisting and as long as you do there is a problem that could be fixed.
    Hope this helps.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer