Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Parts on a Hanger?

Options
Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a couple of those hanger gizmos people use for chicken wings and drumsticks. I don't remember how I set up the Egg the one or two times I used them last year, but I do remember that I wasn't very happy with the results. How do people use these things? Direct or Indirect, temperature, etc.?

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Indirect at 350 -375 usually does it for wings & drumsticks...1hr to hour and a half depending on doneness you prefer...you can take them off the rack the last few minutes and go direct to crisp them up...
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    Thanks! I set up the Large with a foil lined drip pan on the bars in the lowest position of the Adjustable Rig, the 16.5" stainless grid sitting on the drip pan, and the hangers sitting on the grid. It's a nice setup. The hoops of the AR keeps everything from sliding around so the whole thing can be lifted in or out as one piece. I stabilized the Egg at 375º. I drizzled the wings and drumsticks with olive oil, gave them a good sprinkle of Dizzy Dust and put them on the hangers. I cooked them for an hour, brushed them with Carnivore Sweet, and cooked them for another 15 minutes. They were very very good.

And I forgot to take a photo :(
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC02056.jpg

When the grate is in the normal position, you can fit two racks on. I just build a smaller fire since they are closer to the coals.

With my Woo ring, only one rack fits.... but I prefer the higher distance.

DSC02044a.jpg

Pit temps can really be anywhere from 250° to 350°, just be careful of the higher temps. I cook them until the internal is around 175°.

IMG_0282b.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    With the 14" drip pan on the bars of the AR in the lowest position, and the 16.5" grid sitting on the drip pan, two racks just fit. Here's a next-day reconstruction of the setup.

11wdhy0.jpg

I could have done almost the same thing with the drip pan on the standard grid on the fire ring but it looked like it would close off the airflow too much.