Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt mop??

Parrothead
Parrothead Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I 'm preparing to start my first overnight cook tonight. I am going to attempt a Boston Butt. The recipe says to mop every hour or so. I have never had a problem with dry meat, especially butts, when cooking on the BGE.[p]My first question is should I go ahead and mop as the recipe says? Secondly, I am going to use hickory chunks for smoke. Is this a good idea or should I use soaked chips? Last but not least, tonights forcast is mid-high 30's. Is this going to affect the capability of maintaining my 200-220 temp.[p]I guess that I am looking for some assurance from the eggsperts!![p]Beers!
PH

Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Mopping is unnecessary for moistness on the BGE. However, it does add additional flavor. I don't usually mop butts I'm cooking at home.[p]Jim
  • JSlot,[p]Like I said in my post, I have never had a problem with lack of moisture on the BGE either. However, I like the idea of adding more flavor. How often should I mop?[p]PH
    Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • JSlot
    Every 1½ hours works nicely.[p]Jim
  • JSlot,
    In the past I have just wrapped the butt in aluminum foil and cooked on the grid at 300-325. I feel that I am losing out on all the flavor. What do you think about using the v-rack over a drip pan directly on the cooking grid?[p]PH

Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Parrothead,
    If you are going to use a rub of any kind, i would not mop untill at least 5 hrs into the cook or you will take any rub right off of the meat at the start.[p]Earl

• JSlot
    The setup most of us use is an inverted plate setter with drip pan in the middle and the cooking grid over that. If you use the V-rack over a drip pan it would be about the same. Your juices that go into the pan will probably scorch and won't be usable, but that may not be a concern. Cook at 250-260° and you will be fine. If you were cooking your butts wrapped, then you were definitely missing out on all the smoke flavor. Good luck.[p]Jim
  • JSlot,
    Thanks for the input. I think I will try the inverted plate setter with the drip pan underneath the grid. Do you think that 250-260 is too high? Also, would you use chunks or chips?[p]PH

Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Parrothead,[p]I would use chunks and wait until the fire is established and the heavy smoke has waned before putting on the meat.
    250-260 is not too hot and pretty normal but you could go lower to 225 or so. Much lower than that and you risk the fire going out in the middle of the night. [p]You have chosen well as hickory is the flavor of pork bbq. Good luck with your cook ..... you will love it![p]John

• WooDoggies,
    I plan on soaking them to stop sparking...good idea?[p]PH

Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Parrothead,[p]I don't see a need to soak and I've never experienced sparking............ well, maybe after a few cold ones.....[p]Nice thing about chunks mixed in with the lump, you will get a continuous smoke throughout the cook...... and continuous smoke is good.
    However, if you put the meat on just after starting the cooker while it's pumping out smoke, that will tend to add a bitter smoke flavor to the meat. Bitter smoke is bad.
    Good to wait for a thin blue smoke. Be patient as it can take as much as 20-30 minutes or so. Worth the wait.
    In the end you will be amazed at how easy it all was and how good pork bbq can be![p]John