Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham recipe on The Egg

GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to do a ham on The Egg for Easter and would like to get an opinion on how it will turn out. I'd also like a good recipe. Thanks.
Grillmeister

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Grillmeister,[p]I tried the archives to get the link to 'Da Bears Root Beer Ham, unfortunately it appears to have suffered the ravages of the HDD clean up... :([p]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Grillmeister,
    Check your e-mail![p]Dr. Chicken

• Grillmeister,[p] What kind of ham? Raw, salt-cured, sugar cured, honeybaked?[p]MikeO
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Grillmeister,[p]I don't know much about ham - it not being on my personal eating menu much. I also don't recall many folks here doing ham - except the ones who did pulled pork with a ham. I do recall some talk about some hams needing to be reheated and some requiring the internal temp to go to 155 or so first. I suggest you read the instructions first to determine which you have. Decide how much smoke you like in food and adjust from there. By adding a drip pan or ceramic barrier, you can make the Egg act more like an oven - then cook as you would in an oven (to some degree) and cook until you get the doneness internal temp you want. [p]
    Tim

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Grillmeister,
    Get a Hillshire Farms brown sugar cured ham, not the honey glazed one. If you can, don't get a spiral cut. If that's all that's available, be sure to tie the ham with kitchen string so the thin spiral cut pieces won't flop around and dry out.[p]Anyway, here's a recipe.[p]Light the BGE and bring to about 250F. Place a V-rack in a drip pan. Remove the tough rind from the ham. Place the ham on the V-rack. Cook until the internal temperature on a Polder reaches 115-120F, about 15 minutes per pound. Glaze the ham during the last 30 minutes of cooking. When the temperature is right, remove the ham from the egg and allow to rest for 30 to 40 minutes before carving.[p]Pineapple Glaze for Ham (Elder Ward's own)[p]1/4 cup Pineapple or orange juice
    1 Tbsp cornstarch
    3/4 cup Brown sugar
    1 Tbsp French's mustard
    1 small can sliced pineapple
    1 small jar Maraschino cherries[p]Mix the pineapple juice and the next 3 ingredients. Spread on ham 30 minutes before the end of cooking time. Arrange the pineapple slices around the ham with the cherries in the center. Use toothpicks to hold them in place.[p]I did this last Christmas and it blew everybody's socks off.
    JimW[p]

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Grillmeister,[p]I smoked a ham last Thanksgiving. Very easy! I scored the surface in a dimond pattern, and put cloves in the intersections. Smoked over peach wood indirectly at about 300*. Ever 20 minutes or so I sprayed the ham with pinapple juice. When the internal temp reach 170, it was done. Only one word of caution. If it is a bone in ham, try to keep you meat thermometer away from the bone (you may get a faulse reading).[p]Smokey

• See article on hams in today's Washington Post. Link is in my post further up on the Forum page . . .
  • Scott S
    Scott S Posts: 24
    JimW,was that Hillshire Farms ham fresh or already cook? Bone-in? Please let me know as soon as posible as I would like to do one for Easter. Thanks ahead of time!

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    MikeO,
    It will probably be a honey-baked ham. Is that ok?

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Grillmeister,[p] It will be fine, but be careful in how you cook it. For this kind of ham, use your BGE just like an oven and cook without any smoke (not sure this buys you much over just doing it in the oven, though). I've found that trying to smoke a pre-cooked and glazed ham is a bit of a mess (something about how the smoke interacts with the sugary glaze just doesn't work).[p]MikeO
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    MikeO,
    Do you think the moisture in the egg keeps the glaze from caramelizing like it does the dry oven??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p] No, but I do find that using smoke with the glaze causes a bad flavor. I think it's mostly because it gets concentrated in the glaze and can't get to the meat. Nothing wrong with smoking an unglazed ham, then using a glaze as a finishing sauce . . .
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Scott S.,
    Sorry to be so late. That's a bone-in, fully cooked ham. Look for the one in 'natural juices'. That means there is no water added. Cook's Illustrated says the brown sugar cured is the best.