Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Practicin for EGGwegoFest, 32 days away...

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Beer brats are on the menu so I need to keep sharp with this cook so it's practice, practice, practice. ;):)
BGESummerribs2009009.jpg
BGESummerribs2009011.jpg
BGESummerribs2009012.jpg
BGESummerribs2009013.jpg
Been awhile since I smokes some ribs so...
BGESummerribs2009003.jpg
Now that local sweet corn is finally in...
BGESummerribs2009006.jpg
BGESummerribs2009008.jpg
The mini has been workin with the little stuff, like these lambchops. On the other hand...I'd better stick with the beer brats to feed the masses. :lol:
BGESummerribs2009001.jpg

Comments

• pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    cold beer yum food looks great to. I know you will do a great job.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Gregg The Egg
    Options
    :woohoo: Wow! I now have hunger pangs! :woohoo:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Great looking practice sessions! :laugh:

Would you be going to Springfield,MO if not the same day?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    looking good Clay....are you gonna do the hodags this year? Or shall I?
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi Clay,

The food looks fantastic. What I can't see well enough is how you have your grill set up. It appears as though you have your grid raised higher then the gasket almost like you have an extra fire ring. My old eyes have had a hard day and I was wondering if you could please explain to me how you are set up?

Thanks,

Gator

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    geeez, buddy, we're going to have to hit the ground running to keep up with you on the 26th - not even sure what we're fixin, much less practicin!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Are martinis on the menu this year? -RP
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Ummm, yum!

Question. I see Urquell for imbibing. But are you using that for the brats also? And I notice a bit of onion in the pan. Does pilsner and onion add more tang? I've tried less hoppy ales and bocks, and those add a nice sweetness to the brats.
  • Clay Q
    Options
    If you would like to make them, that's fine cause it takes some pressure off me. :blink: Your the hodag Iron Chef! :cheer:
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Your eyes are good, what you see are two firerings, one on top of the other. Makes a good raised grid and a gasket saver. Got them for all my eggs including the mini. The top one is inverted to fit the curvature of the dome better. Shrinks the grid area a bit, I'm ok with that. Had this setup for a couple of years now, maybe three.
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Looking forward to the fest and the food and people. For sure I'll cook pig candy and beer brats. When the starting gun goes off it'll be an egghead cookin frenzy.
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Does the sun rise in the mornin?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    YUMMEE!!! B) That's borderline torture!Man it looks GREAT!!! :)
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Butter and onion in the pan, saute a bit until the onion starts to clear then add beer then brats, cook for about 30 minutes. Then grill brats direct to brown up with grill marks. Return brats to beer "hot tub", reheat in egg at bit to keep them hot and juicy for serving. I had Urquell on hand so that's what got used. Had my neighbors over along with two nephews for lunch with us and all agreed that the Johnsonville mild Italians were some of the best beer brats they ever tasted. Of course it was all because of the egg. :whistle: Love those beer brats.
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Thanks,I hope so,... little nervous. Lot's of important people will be there so the pressure is on.
    ;)
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Come practice at NiEGGara Fest! You'll be the life of the party with cooks like that! :woohoo:
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Thanks for the offer but reservations have been for one heck of an egghead party. :)
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Thanks. I think I was the life of the party last year with my "Wet Martini's". :ohmy: :woohoo:
    Should be even more exciting second time around. ;)
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Thanks Hoss, I plan on a big feed this year so we gotta be ready when the masses bust down the gate. You see our egg smoke will travel right over Chicago and how many people live in Chicago? Billions and they all love BBQ. :silly: :P
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Thanks. Lot's more at EGGwegoFEst to feast on I guaranteeeeeee.
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    I had a good teacher......see you then....It also takes the pressure off me...wondering what the heck I'm gonna cook. So...hodags for morning....Rum cake for afternoon. Sounds like a plan man...

The Filly
  • Perennial Smoke
    Options
    32 days - I have a lot to do! I am really getting excited! We're working on a special Friday night Meet & Greet - details to follow - but I'll give a big clue - Bobby Q from the mothership might be teaching us a thing or two... I can't wait to see everyone. Plan on staying around for SPSpalooza (5 live bands) on Sunday.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Thanks Clay, That looks like a handy set up. I may have to try that one of these days.

Gator

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Lookin' goooooood, Clay. Can't wait. Make sure you route your trip back home through Elburn to pick up brats from the meat market there. Best brats around!

32 days?! Oh man, I've got to practice. This weekend would have been perfect weather for it, but I was sick all weekend and didn't have the energy for wokking.

We're getting close!