Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Woo 3

SRGAU93
SRGAU93 Posts: 71
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering if anyone is using the Large Woo 3 and how you like it. I was looking for a way to raise the grid & maybe have an extra rack. I'm still very much a novice egger, but have realized the need/advantages for a raised grid. Looks like the Woo 3 accomplishes this, and with the additional grill extender, gives you an additional cooking surface. Obviously I've only cooked single items thus far, but would certainly like to learn to cook multiples (i.e. chicken wings & corn). Thanks for your opinions/advise!

Comments

• I usually use the plate setter instead of raising the grid (assuming you are looking for a more indirect heat) and I have the extended grid with the 2 foldable sections (a life saver if you try to flip or move anything underneath your extended grid). I hope that helps. Happy Egging! ;)
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I have to older Woo2 and use it all the time to get a little more distance from the fire. It works great for chicken and thick-cut pork chops. I don't do a whole lot of 2-level cooking, but will sometimes to chicken over a pan of veggies - very tasty.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • SRGAU93
    Thanks "Gregg The Egg" for your response. Was looking for direct heat. Thanks!
  • SRGAU93
    Thanks Dave! Can you elaborate on the "chicken over a pan of veggies"?
  • Davekatz
    Sure, with pictures even: Chicken & Veggies.

Also see AZRP's THE Chicken: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/thechicken.htm

I've not tried AZRP's version yet, but it sure looks wonderful.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Love my Woo. Use it at least once a week.
  • No problem at all, sorry that I assumed. Ass-U-Me. Oops.
  • SRGAU93
    Thanks to you all! Think I'm going to order the Woo. Thanks for the recipe links, looks good. Guess you could also use boneless/skinless chicken for the "chicken & veggies" recipe.
  • Davekatz
    Boneless/skinless chicken will work, just won't be as juicy. I love this recipe with thighs or hind quarters too.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Here is another Chicken over potatoes cook.

Dome 400° for about 1 hour. Cook until chicken is 165° internal. Spatchcock will work just as well.

chickspud2.jpg

Under the chicken put a tub of spuds, onion, green pepper (or hotter if you like) a couple of pats of butter. The potato tray should be done when the chicken is done. Put the cheese on the spud try when you pull it off the egg. Tent the tray for about 10 minutes.

I have both reds and baker potatoes, onions, and a few jalapeño in the tray – if you don’t want the heat then bell’s are fine.
    chickspud1.jpg

A shot of the chicken done to 165° internal (both breast & legs).
    chickspud3.jpg

The tray after cheese and tented.
    chickspud4.jpg

Just before the plate was wiped clean.
    chickspud5.jpg

One really has to work and messing this cook up. Easy, quick and great tasting.

This cook was done using the adjustable rig and can also be done using the plate setter & grid.

GG
  • Davekatz
    Ooooo, that looks good! Been so busy trying to cook through our zucchini and peppers that I didn't even think about putting potatoes in the tray. Like the cheese too.
  • Pickle
    Pickle Posts: 74
    I just got one of the new 3 tier grate systems from BGE. Can use up to 3 grids which are included, and the top 2 rotate like Lazy Susan. I think it's going to work great for me.

Thanks, Pike
  • SRGAU93
    I've been wanting to look at this, but my local dealer didn't have it last time I checked (about 2 months ago). :(
  • SRGAU93
    That looks great! Thanks for sharing. Will be sure to try soon...
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Is that direct or indirect ? Looks good.

GAry
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

The first picture was the wrong picture... I wanted to show the cut piece not the whole chicken...

Both of the above were done indirect, the tub of spuds/onions/peppers was the indirect barrier on the second 2 pictures.

The top picture was indirect with a drip pan on an inverted spider and the chicken on the top of an adjustable rig.

This is the picture I wanted to show
    chicken3.jpg

This was done direct with only enough lump in the fire box to just cover the air vents in the fire box. The chicken was sort of spatchcocked 16" higher, that is on top of the adjustable rig plus the BGE raised grid. Low temperature drippings falling on the lump. It was a great change from indirect chicien... I think I have a picture of the setup.

Here it is.
    chicken1.jpg

GG
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    Wow! Thanks for posting this chicken & veggies recipe. As I have been slowly putting my new BGE together over the last couple of days (with nest, egg handler and egg mates) I have been pondering what to make for my first cook. I knew spatchcock chicken would be very good but somehow it wasn't quite spectacular enough for the first cook. This recipe does it for me. Now I just have to decide if I'm willing to invite friends over and risk having a problem with the results or just cook for myself to build a little confidence and enjoy the leftovers.

Thanks for the multiple versions too!