Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Troubles

Options
llrickman
llrickman Posts: 654
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I made babybacks from sams last night , rubbed them with butt rub wrapped and put in the fridge

Cooked on the egg for about 4hrs at about 250 indirect

They were delicious , tasty , yummmy nice bark on them but were not fall off the bone tender . I was a little scared to leave them on longer as parts were getting quite done.

any suggestions would be appreciated
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Need to do the 3-1-1 method. 3 hours indirect, 1 hour foiled with honey, brown sugar and apple juice, then the last hour unfoiled, indirect with your sauce. Works perfect.
  • stormydog
    Options
    Next time try the 3-1-1 method, 3 hours on the grill, bone side down, 1 hour in foil with liquid meat side down, then finish for the last hour on the grill
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    i'm no expert but 3-1-1 gives me the results you are looking for. i go simple and foil them in a tin pan with enough beer to cover the bottom. good luck.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Most likely they weren't cooked long enough to get tender. Baby backs indirect at 250* usually take 5-6 hours, sometimes longer. If you had unusually small slabs of ribs then maybe they would cook faster.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    These were big racks im sure thats where my problem is I'll try 3-1-1 next time
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Options
    I like to do mine at 250 indirect with a platesetter for 3 hours, then foil in a metal pan with a little juice or adult beverage for another hr. Be careful on the liquid--no more than 1/4-1/2 cup. Sam's ribs, butts, and brisketts are great for a big box store. If you have a specialty meat purveyor you are in even taller cotton ;)
  • I fought the same problem for two years before I figured it out. I never had any success with 3-1-1, and cooking them longer never wrked for me either. I've recently started doing a modified version of 311, but I like to smoke them for an hour or so, then bake them covered in an aluminum pan for 2-3 hrs with a little liquid, then finishing direct adding sauce at the end. Same thought process as 311, just different timing I guess. Someone above also mentioned adding honey--very tasty.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Carwash Mike (CWM) has probably cooked more ribs than anyone I know. His "Baby Back Rib Class" is at the link below. I have cooked Sam's baby backs following his method to the letter and both times the ribs were the best ever!

"CWM Rib Class"
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Options
    Don't give up on your method. More than likely you just did not cook long enough. I cook babybacks for 5 hours at 250 and spares for 5 hours at 275...works great. If they do not start to fall apart when you pick them up in the middle with tongs then they are not not done. Personally, I do not see the point of pulling my ribs off after 3 hours and then wrapping them in foil and then unwrapping them later. Seems like extra work for little result...my ribs could not be more tender and still have a bone to hold on to. Just cook longer next time and you'll love them!