Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FIRST BUTT - CONFUSED BUT TURNED OUT NICE

Options
EgginRN
EgginRN Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First Attempt - Two 7.5# boneless butts on yesterday at noon, temp. stabalized well at 240, plat. for 3-4 hours and last night around 2300 had to pull both because meat temp climbed to 195 on one and 190 on second. wrapped for 2 hours then pulled and vacuum sealed. Meet was tender and fell apart in my hands. They only cooked for 11 hours? checked dome temp with digital probe and there was a 20 degree difference from BGE therm., so I checked again with same results??? Great smoke penetration. The whiz's directions were right on!!! :) Going to eggexpirement again in a day or two with more butts to figure out the temp thing. Feedback would be great.

Sorry for the long note and no pics, the wife took my camera and headed for the beach. B)

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Glad it turned out good. With a 20 degree difference in temp. which one is right??? Have you calibrated your BGE thermometer in boiling water???

If not ya may want to.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Sounds like you got it right even though you have dome temp concerns. Good job! Take your thermometer off your Egg and place the tip is some boiling water. If it's not reading 212* you can recalibrate it. (Mine was off about 20*, all fixed now)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The rule of thumb is 1.5 hrs - 2 hrs per pound for butts, assuming they are not touching. So 7.5 lb done in 11 hrs is at the low end, but still within the average. If you had pushed the pieces together, creating almost one big solid piece, you would have had a day long cook.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    If you're going to be slicing the pork 190-195 is good but if you want some great pulled pork I learned from Fidel, one of the forum members to pull at around 202. To me that gives the perfect texture and it's not dry.
  • EgginRN
    EgginRN Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks, I will take what you guys have said and put them into action on the next attempt. B)

Thanks Again!!!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Sounds like it cooked right to me. 11 hours would be dead on for the weight. As far as the therm is concerned, just calibrate both and see which one was right. They may both be off. You may have been at 275 instead of 240. Good luck.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Glad to hear everything turned out good,I have had some butts cook faster than others.Did two yesterday and they were right at 195,maybe 200 next time .

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    Glad the cook ended well Dave. Pulled pork is just great stuff. If your thermometer is in calibration the only other variable you have is the meat itself. It is funny but I find there is a considerable variable between each time I try cooking butts. Like you I normally cook them two at a time. Mine are usually in the 7.5 to 8 pound range and the cooks take anywhere from about 14 hours to 23 hours. I have given up trying to figure it out and I just cook them until they are ready to pull.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Glad to hear your concerns were for not. Where are the pics. :laugh: :silly:
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    What are you confused about?? 7.5 pounds should take between 7.5 hours and 15 hours. Eleven hours fails with-in that range.

If you cook to time you will be disappointed. Always cook to temp and just use the time as a guideline.