Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to buy an Egg

Gruper @ Grupette
Gruper @ Grupette Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am researching the net to see what ceramic grill will work for me. The "BBQ Guys" are pretty brutal as they compare BGE with Grill Dome. It appears that someone has aggravated someone. Regardless there are some points worth looking at. I am looking for any thoughts ya'll could offer. I am realy leaning on buying an XL Green Egg for the cooking space. This also mutes the comparison as Grill Dome is one size fits all. I am going today to touch the egg for the first time. Any constructive comments would be appreciated as to why the egg over the dome.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    This is a pre-recorded message:

I often hear that the large does not have the capacity to cook for a large family.

Let me tell you that is a lot of bull. When my family gets together we are typically 20+. My XL sits there and wishes I would use him.

So here is my proof:

Please note the amount of sausage on this egg:
    IMG_8030-020.jpg

6 7-9 pound butts on this egg:

IMG_8055-033.jpg

Just for contrast please note the amount of meat on this Lang 60:

IMG_8059-035.jpg

I cooked 18 butts on 3 eggs and took up less space.

My XL gets used when I cater and even then it's only used for something that may not physically fit on my large and can't be cut into smaller chunks.

Ohh did I tell you I have 2 small eggs too. You will NOT be disappointed with the Egg, unless you fail to learn how to use it or don't use it. Many of us use it as our primary cooking
  • The Grill dome also sells a a Super Dome.
    Also you could look at the primo's . There is also two newer company's , Saffiregrills and Joe kamado.
  • Greetings form TN,
    3 weekS AGO I GOT AN XL AND A LARGE.YESTERDAY I GOT ANOTHER XL.ACCESSORIES 16 IN PIZZA STONE , PLATE SETTERS, ELEVATED RACK, DIGIQ2 AND PIT VIPER FAN SWEET.FIRST USE LAST NIGHT. HELD EXACT TEMP FOR 10 HRS.
    DIVE IN. THIS EQUOIPMENT ELEVATE MY COOKING QUALITY TO ANOTHER LEVEL. GOOD LUCK TONY
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    http://www.ceramicbbqforum.com/ceramic/public/

It's open to all questions about ceramic grilling.

Here you have a HUGE bias as you will on any other forum.

The ceramicbbqforumis the place to ask the question.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Your missing quality Egg time as you bang your head against the wall looking for a reason not to get one. You never know when your gonna end up under the big bus.

So get Eggin.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Try asking your dealer if they ever cook on one to show how they work and a taste of the food that comes off of it.

Good luck with what ever you decide to get. I'm single and have a Lg,Med,Sm & Mini. That should tell you how I feel about em.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    WOW,
    We got a gal here with the handle Big Bus. WooHoo :laugh:

Sorry Ripnem,
    Couldn't resist.

Cheers,
    Bordello
    Being Bad again
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    helpful hint, Sundown, but conversely it always amazes me to read the questions posted on that board that are asked by eggers - though I imagine they are newbies. Lately there have been several. I always think "well, guy, why don't you go to the BGE board?" Early on I did and Ray B. chewed me out and then altered my post!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I had no idea. :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe it woul.....never mind :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    4 of-em, and single :laugh:

See I'm way behind :ohmy:
  • Bordello
    :laugh:
    Maybe because I'm single is why I can have 4??? :whistle::lol: :woohoo:

You will catch up I'm sure.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    That forum is all but dead. Only 10 posts in 2 months.
  • Bordello
    :silly: Ah, go ahead and throw me under, what a way go. :unsure:

Cheers, I have one for ya later,
    Bordello
    On my way out :( ???
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    I bought my first large egg in June '08 after a relative cooked a dinner on his for me. Immediately I was sold!!
    Once you try the food off one you'll be sold too. The support and help from all the BGE forum members would be reason enough to go with the egg. The people here are unbelievable and have helped me sooo much over the past year. You can post a question and within minutes someone is there to help. Thanks to the BGE forum members I now own 3 large, 1 small and a mini and love them all. When I first bought my egg I would read here about people that owned mulitiple eggs and I thought....that's crazy. Well here I am now with a family of 5. It's nice to have different eggs going at different temps when you make a dinner. My go to favorite is the large. I would definitely reccomend that over an XL. I've cooked on an XL at eggfests and have no desire for one. As you can see from Celtic Wolf's pics you can cook mass quantities on the large. Good luck and I hope you end up going with the egg, you won't regret it. Let us know what you decide.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Its been awhile since I watched that, but here's a few things I recall. Hope memory serves.

The one plus I saw for the Grill Dome was the all stainless parts.

The Grill Guys talk about how heavy the Egg is, and how hard it would be to assemble. BGE does not warranty Eggs not assembled by the dealers. So that issue seems peripheral.

I understand the GD has ceramic twice as thick. No answer clear answer to why. Better heat retention? Perhaps. Or necessity because the ceramic is not fired as high, and so neews the extra mass to not slump.

GD has lots of shiny colors vs. 1 for BGE. However, they don't mention if the GD colors are glaze fused to the ceramic, or enamel placed on top.

The Grill Guys also don't mention that the BGE has far more accessories than the GD, and so is significantly more versatile.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    So Anne,

Just curious...when have you ever cooked at an Eggfest? :P

Glad to see you're doing well.
  • PhilsGrill
    >BGE does not warranty Eggs not assembled by the dealers.

You realize this is a misprint on your end right? They warranty their eggs assembled by the purchaser bought from a valid dealer.
  • The BBQ guys I think push the other ceramics because Big Green Egg corp does not authorize internet sales.

I called them for some info and that is what I was told. So this is my opinion.

BGE will not factory warranty third party sales(internet, box stores like Sam's etc. They want dealers to sell and service for quality control.

Not to say these other cookers are not good. I did alot of research and settled on the egg for a variety of reason.

Dealer, company, quality, forum is a great resource.

I am tremendouly happy with my large egg and the forum. Many grins and alot of fun.

Wishing you success on your purchase.
  • Whipstock
    Whipstock Posts: 104
    I am fairly new to eggin, bought a large egg a little over 3 weeks ago, thought about the XL, but unless you are catering think it might be overkill. I've had and used barrel smokers, Weber’s and gas grills, family and friends say I know what I'm doing, as they invite themselves over or ask for leftovers, I can say without reservation that the BGE is the way to go. I have cooked on it every night but 2 and the variety of styles are immense, cooked a pork shoulder roast yesterday turned out great, the best part was once the temp was established it stayed that way for hours. Lastly, I have found this forum to be gold mine of excellent information and down right good eggs, as it were. Once you egg, there is no going back. Good luck
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Oh, didn't know that. The few dealers I've encoutered sell assembled Eggs.
  • I would find out how each company handles warranty issues, what parts are not covered,and how close to you are dealers (shipping for ceramic parts sent through the mail is expensive).
    I was leaning towards the egg all along, and once I bought one I kicked myself for waiting so long. Whatever brand you go with, you will be using a ceramic cooker, so you will be way better off than you were before.
  • Bordello
    Hi Anne,
    My large was my first and still is but like you I love em all.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    I was going bring that up also till I saw you post. The 3 egg I bought local I picked up and assembled, the mini came assembled from Alanta.

I have had no problem getting my firebox replace and fire gates.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • PhilsGrill
    I think most assemble them themselves anyway. That way, it's probably done right :whistle: Of course I just pick my up at the mothership since it's local for me.
  • EgginRN
    EgginRN Posts: 102
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    OK, Here is the most important reason to buy a Big Green Egg. Customer Service.

Yes, you will need Customer Service, no matter which ceramic cooker you buy (and possibly, with any smoker/grill, etc.).

The Customer Service @ BGE is second to none. Period.

Also, look at this forum. Whatever you are cooking, if you have any questions about the egg, the set-up, or the technique, you will find help here.

BOB
  • At our store we sell both products...buying an egg should be a no brainer. As mentioned start with the large it is more then enough bbq to do the trick and cook for a ton of people. I have a large xl and a mini...my large is used 80% of the time. It is awesome and with some of the raised racks you can do so many things.
    I think that you will find firing up the xl to cook up a quick snack or if you are only cooking for two would be a bit of overkill.
    Best of luck... get the egg. (lol)
  • One other reason BBQ guys promote the Grill Dome they are in bed with Grill Dome.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Isn't that funny. Bedmates look so good when they are in bed with you.
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    I started with a medium in June, now I also have a large. My high end Weber just sits there looking sad. I would look at both in person and decide what is right for you. I received my first as a gift, but I have been looking at them for years.
    As I type, my large has 2 spatchcock chickens going and the med had 6 hassleback potatoes. Oh I forgot about the half dozen ear of corn on the large too.

Go for the BGE.....