Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BUTT TEMP CONFUSION

Options
EgginRN
EgginRN Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All, after 4 hours I have an internal temp reading of 153, this seems to high and my BGE therm has never been about 275. 1/4" vent opening and daisy half. Not sure?
DSC01166.jpg
DSC01157.jpg

Comments

• ckillian
    ckillian Posts: 73
    Options
    I've had my LBGE for about a month or so and I've done 3 low and slow cooks (2 butts and a brisket). Every time, the internal temp has gone up super fast in the beginning. To the point of making me think, "Oh crap, this thing is going to be done in 5 hours. What have I done?"

However, each and every time, the temp has stabilized and plateaued. My last butt, for example, went on the egg at about 5pm and by about 2am the internal temp was at about 178. I thought the stupid thing had missed the plateau. I was fully expecting to get up at 6am (or earlier) to a finished butt. Not so. That butt stayed at 178 for nearly 9 hours before it started climbing again.

So, with my very limited experience, I'd say "No worries."
  • EgginRN
    Options
    Thanks CK :unsure:
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    The first butts i did i put on at 10:30pm by 1:30am they were already at 140. plateaued at 165 and stayed there for hours. Pulled them at 12:30 at 199*
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    Dave,
    Have you calibrated your thermometer? I typically have the bottom vent open about 1/8 inch and the daisy just barely cracked. But regardless, when you hit the plateau it will hold temp for quite a while. I would guess you are targeting 195-200 as the temperature you are aiming for.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I just posted my recent butt cook and I hit plateau at about 162* and stuck there for 7 to eight hours. No worries. Sounds like everything is going as planned.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I agree that seems like a very agressive setting for 250. If you haven't calibrated your thermometer recently you may be cooking them hotter than you think you are. Do you have an oven thermometer or some other way of measuring what the internal temperature is just to be sure?

In the end it won't matter much, even cooked warm. Butt is a nice cut sliced if it wont pull.

Doug
  • EgginRN
    Options
    Larry, I cal. the therm with a digital one and there was a 5 point diff. I am holding at 250 with the daisy barely cracked and vent less than 1/2 inch. It was quick but I am in the plateau, my temps have not changed in 45 minutes. Thanks
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    It's OK, the temp goes up fast, holds in the 160-170 range during the plateau and then will rise again. Don't sweat it.
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    Dave,
    Well, it looks like you are only hours away from some great pulled pork. My afternoon plans got rained out down here I hope you are having a better afternoon up your way.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • EgginRN
    Options
    Same here made a roof to cover the top from heavy rain, check it out. DSC01158.jpg
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    7 dollars at Lowes. It's a 6 inch vent cap. May be easier to keep out of the way than your roof. I guess its according if your trying to keep the whole dome dry. Just an idea for ya.
    IMG_5941.jpg