Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High altitude smoker use

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for a smoker that will get hot enough to work at 7700 feet. Will the Big Green Egg do it?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Scooter,
    Why wouldn't a smoker get hot enough to work at 7700 feet? The BGE can get over 1000 degrees, so I imagine that would be hot enough, but just in general, what would the issue be with altitude and a smoker?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    The higher question is "Can You Make a Fire at that altitude?"[p](hehe)

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I would imagine that reduced oxygen would significantly affect the cooker's performance. I'm not sure what altitude that takes place, though. Plenty of EGGheads in Denver, so that ought to clear you up to the 5500 ft. elevation, anyway. :)[p]Jim
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Scooter,
    it wont be as hot as sea level. If you cant get as hot as you would like you might have to force draft your fire (fan). some of us use the bbq guru to control our temps, and ive seen some folks using fans to achieve higher temps or higher temps quicker. small pancake type fans are plenty .
    as compared to other smokers, the same difficulties will exsist. on an offset you could install a taller chimney to compensate. Your altitude might be noticable in your fires preformance but i doubt it will be a hinderance.
    ok ive had too much coffee

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Scooter,
    My question is how hot do you want it to get? I have friends who routinely roast whole hogs in steel-bodied cookers at your altitude. Down here in Denver I can get any temperature I want.[p]Ken

• Fairalbion
    Options
    Scooter,
    The only difference I could see is that you'd need to open the vents a fraction wider than you would at sea level.

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Scooter,[p]I attended the 10th Annual Coors Colorado BBQ Challenge, in Frisco, Colorado in August. There were around 80 entrants, but no BGEs. The elevation is about 9000'. I'm not sure what impact you think the elevation would have on heating ability of the smokers. Hey, they even get fireplaces to work up there! LOL

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Pilots must use oxygen after they have been at or above 12,500 ft for 30 min - so I don't think you would have any problem building a fire anyplace you can breath air for that long. Now maybe at 30,000 ft it might start getting more difficult.[p]Tim
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Thanks for that info, Tim. I had no clue at what point oxygen deficiency started to be a problem. I know it ain't the same as sea level or the Broncos wouldn't win very much.[p]Jim
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Tim M,
    i belive the rule is 15% oxygen for free burning (flame) and as little as 3% for smoldering (coals) .at what altitude this occurs i have no idea. Humans require about the same oxygen as a fire (free burning). below 15% its sleepy time. normal oxygen atmosphere is about 20%, OSHA considers anything less than 19.5% as deficient (29cfr section 1910.146(b). no i didnt remember that i looked it up.

• Smoke-N-Smirk!
    Options
    Scooter, Not a problem for the BGE. I’ve smoked with my brother in-law’s large at 9,300ft. He lives at the top end of Golden Gate park in Colorado. Setings are wider than here at 4500ft and slightly less cook time on a load of lump. But for the most part there is very little differance. S-N-M!

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    JSlot,[p]There's large money in it for you, if you can somehow extend this theory to the Nuggets. LOL[p]Ken
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Hey, they won tonight. That makes them 3-2 for the season. Didn't I hear they only won 17 games total last year? (Oh, but tonight's game was in Cleveland ... lower elevation! LOL)
  • Scooter,[p]I live at 6600' above sea level and have a large BGE. Works great. This includes smoking up to 24 hours when doing low 'n slow pork shoulders for NC bbq. There is, however, one difference you should be aware of at altitude. It's easy to get sunburned while standing around the yard with your buddies drinking a few beers and talkin' bbq, so put on some sunscreen![p]Tarheel Tom, exiled in Colorado