Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two plateaus??

Options
GuinnessGuy
GuinnessGuy Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read a dozen times about slow smoking a boston butt and how it hits a plateau in the 170 degree range... I'm in the middle of a nearly 24 hour smoke and I hit a long plateau at 173 as expected. But then when it got to 183 it seemed to stall for a very long time again. It now seems to be rising steadily again so I think all is good, but my question is, am I crazy or can you actually run into multiple plateaus?

Comments

• CampyMan
    CampyMan Posts: 39
    Options
    Hey Guiness - Yes you can have 2 plateaus - I've cooked around 30 butts on my eggs and I have had a double plateau a few times - don't sweat it.

CampyMan
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    how big is your butt? what temp fire?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I can not attest to your mental status, but yes two plateaus happen often .

By the way the plateau usually starts at 165. Not sure where you read 175. You should check the calibration of those thermometers.
  • GuinnessGuy
    Options
    This is the second butt I've done. I used two different digital thermometers for the two cooks. Both showed the first plateau between 171 and 173. But the fist butt didn't have a second. I had read that there was a range of temps that it could occur, not that it was an exact number like boiling water or something.

This butt was 10lbs w/the bone in (previous was 9.5). Temps varied between 210 and 250 for 20.5 hours. Removed butt when the internal temp hit 190. Best pulled pork any of us had ever had. Very happy!!