Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter has gotten grimy

Options
ckillian
ckillian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My large platesetter has gotten pretty dirty from doing a couple of pork butts and a brisket. It's got a layer of grime/grease on the bottom of it (when using legs up).

I recently did a long hot burn to clean the inside of my egg. I didn't, however, put the platesetter in there too. I wasn't sure how well it would stand up to the heat for that long a time.

So my question is: How much heat can that thing take? Can it handle 700 degrees for a couple of hours without cracking?

Comments

• Maynard
    Maynard Posts: 55
    Options
    The best way to clean it is a high heat burn off. Some of the vets can tell you how hot, but I'm guessing it should stand up to 700 to clean it.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Throw it back in for a 600 degrees 2 hours and you're done. BTW I always wrap the plate setter with foil and just throw it away. Always clean.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    The plate setter and pizza stone are made of the same ceramic material as the Egg itself and will withstand temperatures of 1800 degrees, but keeping the temperatures down around 600 to clean is fine. If your plate setter is as dirty as you say, your felt gasket may have a lot of grease build-up also. You may want to put a strip of aluminum foil between the base and the dome so you don't accidently melt the felt together during cleaning. This is a common occurance during a high temp burn under the conditions(grease build-up)you're describing. Mark
  • ckillian
    ckillian Posts: 73
    Options
    Mark,

Ha! Too late. Felt partially fused together. I'll probably try it "as is" for a couple of cooks, and if all is well, I'll just leave it alone. If not, guess I'm tackling the re-gasket project.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry. :( Timing IS everything I guess. Sounds like you've got the right frame of mind though. Some newbs have a kiniption when they fry a gasket. It's not as important as you might think. I can barely see mine, but I do find pieces and chunks of it on the deck once in awhile. haha I did re-do one of my eggs with the nomex a year and a half ago or so. It's holding up very well.