Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A shout out to the Reserves and NG Troops

Options
bitslammer
bitslammer Posts: 818
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I think everyone know the work Celtic Wolf is doing for the troops cooks but I wanted to make mention of a situation that people might not be aware of.

While the larger active duty (regular Army) units get a lot of press when returning home there are plenty of National Guard and Reserve Units serving over seas, and due to their smaller size they often go "unnoticed" to all but local press.

For some of these troops it's even rougher because they often come back and have to jump right back into their civilian job without as much time to "decompress" and obviously they have to deal with getting called up going the other way too.

I'd urge you to get to know some of your local units and see if they have people over there. I try and help out with some of these local events here like the one where 40 Ohio National Guard Special Forces troops came home.

Here's the press page for the Ohio National Guard for an example. As you'll see there are plenty of smaller units fighting the good fight. I know there are plenty more in each state out there. These are also the same folks that might be there to help you in a natural disaster too.

http://www.ong.ohio.gov/2009_press_releases_index.html

Comments

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Very good post. The fact is, as many times these men and women have been called into active duty they're just about full time soldiers.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    For the record American Spirit BBQ does not exclude Reserve or National Guard Units.

If you check The Naked Whiz's Operation BBQ Page you will see we catered a Naval Reserve Unit in Raleigh. There is another Naval Reserve Unit in Wilmington who has asked us for our service.

However, due to the limited budget we have we have to wait for them to find us. Hopefully that will change in the near future.