Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt????????

Options
Smoking Coles
Smoking Coles Posts: 230
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Guys and Gals, thanks for the advice on the pork butt yesterday. I had an interesting experience with the pork butt last night. I've seen Misippi Egger make reference to a turbo butt, and I think that may be what happened last night and wanted to get you guys thoughts. I put the 10lb butt on at approximately 10:00PM last night. I had the egg perfectly regulated at about 215 for an hour before I but the butt on. I watched it for maybe 30 mins more and the temperature had climed back to about 200. I've done butts several times and the cooking times almost always work out to between 1.5 and 2 hours like several of you have stated, but when I got up this morning at 6:00AM, the smoker temp had climed up to about 245 and the 10lb butt temp was 202. That's about 8 hours for a 10lb butt. Could that be the turbo butt you were talking about. I don't think the temperature spiked, as the vents were only open between a 1/4 and 1/2 inch. I do think it gradually got up to 245, hotter than I wanted, but I wouldn't have thought it would have cooked that quickly? Any ideas guys.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Smoking Coles,

1/4 to 1/2 " is a lot for low temps. Maybe GG will post.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• How long has it been since you calibrated your dome thermometer?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    My guess is that your temp went up to 350-400, used up the lump and was on its way back down this morning. If you still have a lot of fuel in there then yes, you experienced a turbo butt. -RP
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    That seems mighty quick even for a turbo butt, have you checked your thermometer before the cook???

Anytime I do a long cook I calibrate my therm. first.

Hope it was fine,
    Bordello
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    Thats a good point to all of you about the calibration. I've never really checked that. I smoked ribs this weekend for approximately 5 1/2 hours and they were perfect, but that is a possibility. I did peak at the lump this morning, and it seemed to still be 2/3rds full. I was planning on it being done about this time today, I'm still confused. I'll check the callibration though, that never crossed my mind.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It's a big surprise :ohmy: when it happens, but it does. I had a picnic, about 9 pounds, finish in about 8 hours. Dome was steady at 250 at 10 p.m., still steady at 2 a.m., and when the aroma was so strong at 6 a.m., I just had to check. Meat was 195, and had reach 205 by the time I was able to get the cooler ready to hold it. Had a really big lunch.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    If you had that much lump left over, you probably experienced a turbo butt, unless your temp probe is not calibrated.

I've never personally had one, but have read about turbo butts several times on here. It usually occurs when several butts are being cooked at the same time and one gets done much faster than the others.

It should taste good, though. The train just got to the station a little ahead of schedule. :laugh:
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    I'm going to check the calibration on both of my thermometers tonight just to make sure. It was not "charred", but had the typical "crust on the outside just like all of the other butts I've cooked. Also, I didn't have time to pull it before I left for work, and had to put it in the fridge, any problems pulling it now? Do I need to try and reheat somehow before pulling. I guess I should have done this Saturday night as planned instead of swimming in a bottle of crown. Hindsights 20/20.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Did you use a meat thermometer?If it was close to a bone it could give a false reading.The tale will be told when you try to "pull"it! :whistle:
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    Update to anyone who cares, I got home, took the butt out of the fridge and it pulled apart perfectly. I'm sure it would have been a little easier if still warm, but the texture and taste were perfect. I guess it was a "Turbo". I glad I had heard about this on the forum before it happened, but still is pretty strange to me. Thanks for all the advice.