Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

do you need a spacer on the TelTrue?

Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have noted that some of the folks here use either a 1/2 or 1 inch spacer on the thermometer.The Whiz has no comment on this procedure.Any thoughts?The model in question is the LT225R with a five inch stem.

Comments

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Yes I do. Sorry no pic, my camera batteries are dead. I'm using about a 2.5" block of 2x2 wood. Just drill a hole down the middle. Works good, and keeps the
    tel-tru tip out of the food.
  • If you do not use a space, you will just find that real often it will stick into your meat and give you false (usuall real low) dome temps. I used part of a wine cork. Hope this answers.
    Tom
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    I don't have any scientific reason for using a 1/2 inch of cork other than to make some space under the dome on medium and also I'm using the clip on the outside of my mini for the same reason until I install the cork.

I would think the cork insulates the probe and minimizes any deviations. :unsure:
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Just make sure your cork is cork. I was using a "cork" that melted onto the dome. Come to find out my cork was made of some kind of synthetic material that looked like cork. What a mess. I had to scrape it off the dome and then cut the TelTrue out of it.
  • Darnoc
    T hank's for the tips on this subject.I did not know how much of a temperature difference there would be from using the original thermometer since I never read that a spacer was used on the BGE unit.I think that a 2 1/2 inch would be a bit much because the sensor is getting much higher in the dome where it would be a lot hotter than the recommend "dome" temp.I think I will try the 1/2 inch route.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Hey Bill, this is how I did mine. -RP

IMG_1260Small.jpg
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    I do mine just like AZRP's photo. Except mine is dirty as all heck, while you could shave looking into his.

How do you people cook great food, take photos of it while piping hot and gorgeous, and keep things clean and shiny? I can barely get the lump into the Egg without hurting myself.

Anyways, I do it like that and it helps when using the raised grid.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Hi Randy,
    When I use mine I do the same, much easier to adjust or just remove.

Have a good one,
    Bordello
  • AZRP
    It also keeps it from getting bent if it does hit the food. -RP
  • Darnoc
    I was thinking the same thing.Just was not sure if it would raise it up to much.Thanks Randy.A note on Molly.She had a steel plate put in her back leg because of muscle loss.Now I know what you went through with Joe.Things are going well with the exercises and seems to becoming back to a good recovery.I should have been a vet instead of being in the electronics business.Those guys don't come cheap.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    I basically cut a wine cork in half, trim a bit more and should be close to 1 inch.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    I think the important thing here is that the tip of the TelTrue should be at approximately the same location of the tip of original BGE thermometer.

Randy's (AZRP) solution does just that.
  • AZRP
    I compare Joe to the six million dollar man. -RP
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I have not read any other posts so if I'm repeating - sorry -but I use one of these wooden toy wheels which take up 1/2" of that extra 1 inch and don't worry about the other 1/2"! Besides I find the thermometer itself is somewhat insulated so it serves a double purpose.
    IMG_0114.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Hi Ron,
    I had to look twice at the thermometer, I'm thinking I've never seen one like that. Well I hadn't noticed at first that you had a wheel on it as well as the one on the side of it. :whistle:

Hope things are well with y'all,
    Bordello

? Did you catch that picture of me in the pub all bundled up while it 100 or so outside??? :(
  • cactusjk
    cactusjk Posts: 14
    NoVA Bill said:
    I basically cut a wine cork in half, trim a bit more and should be close to 1 inch.
    Do you still use the clip inside if you have a cork outside?
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Wine cork 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    LOL - and yet another "zombie" thread brought back from before this forum even existed!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    cactusjk said:
    NoVA Bill said:
    Do you still use the clip inside if you have a cork outside?
    I bet not after 7 years. Haha. Throw the clip in the trash can 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013