Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pizza stone on grate or platesetter

mattowanmattowan Posts: 3
edited 7:08PM in EggHead Forum
I am yet another long time egger who finally got around to buying the pizza stone for my large BGE. My question is why does everyone seem to put their stone on the legs of the platesetter instead of resting the stone right on the grate? It would seem to me easier to get a 500+ temp without the setter.

• I put platesetter legs down, 3 spacers the the stone.

I forget why, but I think it has to do with airflow, even cooking and no hotspots.

My first pizzas I did platesetter legs up, grate and then stone. worked ok but i picked up some extra (unwanted)flavor that may have been from stuff that was on the grid.

I know they do taste better now.
  • FlaMikeFlaMike Posts: 648
    Me thinks, no platesetter = too hot on stone = burnt crust before top is done.
  • JBJB Posts: 510
    Same here. I used to do legs up/ grate/ stone but tried platesetter legs down then stone on ceramic feet and it seems to cook top and bottom more evenly for me.
  • fieroguyfieroguy Posts: 777
    If you can, get the stone a coupla inches above the felt line, no plate setter.
  • Like on top of the double decker grate?
    Yeah, that'll work just fine. Need to get the stone above the felt line so you have better access to whatever is on the stone.
    If you are doing a pizza, put the stone on after lighting the egg and let it come up to temp. (450-500*) and then put on the pizza.
  • mako191mako191 Posts: 2
    I have only done 2 pizzas but they were both great
    Plate setter legs down ceramic pizza stone directly on top of plate setter. 500 degrees, allow stone to heat up prior to adding pizza
  • OttawaEggOttawaEgg Posts: 283
    I did mine platesetter legs down;

Little egg feeties to keep the stone above it

Temp - about 550-600.

twas yummy yummy good good!

• Nice looking pizza! What size is your stone?
  • Can I ask how long you left it on the grill? Also, I assume you are cooking with the grill closed? Thanks.
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Here is a typical setup. Plate setter legs down, then I have the three green feet (which you can't see), then the pizza stone. I cook all my pizza's around 450-500 degrees.

• Nice looking pizza..Is that a Primo pizza stone?
    Thanks for the pics.
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    No, got it on I checked the bottom and there is nothing there. Had it for about 5 years now, 16" and works great sofar.
  • HitchHitch Posts: 402
    I did 6 pizzas tonight, and all cooked at 500. My setup almost weekly is PS legs down, then grate or green feet, then pizza stone. It is absolutely vital to let the stone get up to temp. I would give it a good 30 minutes. For me, a well built fire with the daisy wheel completely off will stabilize around 500 with the bottom vent about 1 and 1/2 inch open. I do still use parchment paper occasionally, but it really isnt necessary. I mainly like it for prep. I am getting great reviews from family and friends on the pizza for sure, but they LOVE the crust consistency. Thin and firm/crispy, not thin and floppy. Half the fun is makin the darn things, and my 4 boys love to help.
  • EGGARYEGGARY Posts: 1,222
    I have an XL and no feet. What can I use to raise pizza stone ? How high from Plate Setter ?

• Just put the stone on the grid or a raised grid.
  • Great looking pizza. Thanks for the tips. What size and make of stone do you use?
    Thanks again.
  • Not sure I see the point of the stone being raised above the platesetter as long as the stone is brought up to temp long enough.
  • I think most on here will say a space between the plate setter and pizza stone keeps the pizza crust from burning and raising the pizza stone above the gasket prevents burning up the gasket.