Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Crust

Options
Eggoholic
Eggoholic Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cant get my Pizza Crust worked out, Everytime I make it I roll it out and then 2 seconds later its shrinking. First I thought to much yeast but cut back on it and it still does it. Any suggestions

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Let it rest and warm a little before trying to stretch it.

And learn to toss instead of rolling it. The crust will be a LOT better. Rolling it minimizes the air pockets and changes the 'crumb' of the final product. You can practice slapping and tossing dough using a damp dishcloth or tea towel.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Fidel is right. I actually let mine rest a couple times during the toss. When I take a ball of dough out of the fridge, I let it come up to room temp, then press it out into a disc shape. Then let it rest for 10 mins or so. Then start to slap and toss it. When I notice it has reached its size limit and keeps shrinking back, I let it rest some more. Then continue tossing and stretching it. Repeat until the dough has reached the desired thinness and diameter.
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    In addition to what Fidel and Ben said (which I agree with--resting, room temp, and no rolling pin will probably solve your problem), I also have begun using a mix of all purpose flour with pastry flour (in a ratio of about 3:1) which seems to result in a softer dough that does not shrink back. If you're not comfortable tossing your dough (I'm not very good at it myself), just stretching rather than rolling will give you more spring and less density to your crust.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I let my dough sit at room temp for a couple of hours min. This allows the dough to not only come to room temp but lets the gluten rest. Also the more you "work" the dough into shape the more gluten you are building..

Tossing lets you get the shape you need quckly..
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    If you can arrange to make the dough the day before and let it rise in the refrigerator overnight, it will be very easy to handle and taste a lot better.

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego