Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have Large Egg Hosting Party

Options
johann
johann Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I'm hosting my kiddo's first birthday party, and expecting ~30 guests.

I was planning on doing a brisket, finding a large one, now I'm thinking I should do maybe a shoulder as well? or two briskets? I'm at at loss as to how to fit more than 1 packer in the egg. Anyone have hints on what sort of meat ammount I should make and how to fit it?

I have 2 weeks to plan this and possible get another gadget for the egg. Not sure what to get at this point.

I do have a friend with a hasty bake that most likely will do two chickens or something. She did that last time. I'm having everyone else bring sides.

Hints? Tips? Ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I don't have any experience with brisket except for jerky - I'd think pulled pork would be an easy cook and feed your guests just fine.
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    what size is your egg?
    jon
  • johann
    Options
    That must have been a multitasking failure. I have a large bge and a plate-setter, Also have a small BGE but not sure that is relevant to large cook like this as sides will be provided. I'll probably use the small bge to roast something to make a home made bbq sauce.

Also, I want to do a packer or two, or a packer and some butts, just because I tend to do pulled pork for large parties, and I don't want to be in a rut.

This is the first time I'm doing it all on eggs. I used to do it on a chargriller and with that the space wasn't limiting, but getting a decent temperature and holding it without checking it every 15-30 minutes was.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    I have done 3 briskets on the Large I used some bricks and stacked them up they turned out great. It was a tight sqeeze but they were fine. Good Luck

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • johann
    Options
    bricks? Stacked with grates or just lay em on the bricks?
    I'm having trouble visualizing this.

Wife wants to do a pernil so I may end up with no brisket, unless I can find a online store selling a pizza stone sized for the small and then nab a woo2