Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

slow cooking boston butts

baehman
baehman Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 8.5lb butts on a large egg. Temp is at 225 with a BBQ Guru. I put it on last night at 9:00pm. the butt is at 168 25 hrs later. I did check it doesn't look done. Do I just wait it out? Any help would be helpful.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    holy cr^p.

what is 268, the butt or the egg?

if the dome is at 225, then there's no way in hell the butt is 268 unless you are screwing with us, or your thermometer is toast.

i have to ask... by "wait it out" what could that mean? wait until.... what?

it's done. it's likely way overdone. but it's hard to screw up a butt.

take its temp. it's gonna be over 200 easily. which means it was done a while ago.

seriously, though, are you seriously being serious, or just seriously being goofy?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • baehman
    sorry guys the butt is at 168.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Is the 225 the Guru set temp? What is your dome temp?

Sounds like your fire might have gone out or really dropped in temp.

Som'en ain't right.
  • baehman
    That's the thing the temp is holding at 225 all day the dome temp which uses the egg temp is at 235. I just checked and the butt is at 172. 25 hrs later
  • Big Papa
    Big Papa Posts: 220
    something is wrong. no way it would take 24 hours.
    you sure your thermometer is calibrated?

personaly never heard of it taking that long.

always a 1st:)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Where exactly is the pit probe connected.

GG
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    What's the latest on your dilemma?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • baehman
    The pit prob is attached to the BGE Thermometer. It is almost 7 am the butt temp is 191. I checked it trough out the night the temp always stayed constant. I have plenty of lump left. I will take pictures and keep everyone posted at how it turned out. It looks good. I even checked the butt temp with a thermo pen, the temps were the same. This is my 3rd boston Butt cook. They have all turned out wonderful. I should have a good lunch. 36 hrs later....
  • stike
    WHEW!
    hahahah

didn't mean to sound sarcastic.

it's been on a loooong time. i'm thinking maybe your dome thermometer is off and reading falsely low, or the meat thermo is off. can you double check? maybe stick the meat thermo in the dome to cross check?
  • stike
    225 is a little low. was the "pit" temp the temp of the dome or at the grid?

if it's dome temp, then 225 dome is like 200 grate, and it will take a long time to get the meat to the same temp
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    I see what could be the issue. If your Guru pit probe is attached to the BGE dome thermometer, and your dome/pit temp is 235, then your grid temp is around 200-210* which is really not hot enough. As Stike said, it's hard to get a butt internal temp to 200* when the air temp around it is 200 or 210*.

I attach my Guru pit probe (alligator clip) to my meat probe about 2 inches back from the meat, in an attempt to regulate the air close to the meat. My dome temp (calibrated) usually runs about 20-25* higher than the Guru pit probe. Makes sense as hot air rises and the dome is higher than the grid.

The butt should be great eating, just a long time cooking!
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Ummm....

if you put the butts on at 9pm the previous night, and posted your message at 11:24 PM the following night...

.... doing the math...

That's about 12 1/2 hours... out of the 17 hours projected that it should take (so long as they're not packed in close together).

2 hours / pound X 8.5 = 17 hours +/- an hour.

Which means the butts should have been done around 2-3am.

Is there an update??
  • baehman
    Here is the result. It was great It did take along time to get to 195. 35hr cook that is a long time to wait and smell the goods. I let it rest for 3 hrs. You might be right on the temp. It might have been a little low. I will try putting the clip a couple of inches back of the food prob like you said. Like so many have posted before its done when its done. The amazing thing is I still had plenty of lump left.