Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable rig pics/help needed

iahawkfan16
iahawkfan16 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning everyone. I received my adjustable rig/spider combo from Tom Friday (thanks for the speedy shipping Tom!). If anyone could post some pics/tips for using it that would be great, or email them to me. I'm going to try to do 4 spatchcocks at one time next Wednesday for my birthday and dont know where to put the grates, or if it would even work. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Post the pics so all of us who still do not have that setup can see how it works.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Howdy Jason, I'll pass the positive shipping vibes onto Kelsie.

With four spatchcock birds, it can be a busy cook, trying to get the skin crispy and working two levels. Nothing like jumping right into the fire with the Rig.

Since you are new to the Rig, here is how you could do it.

- fill the firebox 3/4 full of lump, just enough for the cook. want ample space between stone and lump.
    - target the dome temp to approx. 375-400
    - at the beginning of the cook, do a quick grill on each spatchcock bird skin down to get the skin rendering/browning
    - to cook the birds to doneness, hour or so, set up would be: spider with stone to difuse the heat, rig atop fire ring, lower grid on level 3.0 middle bracket setting (2 birds) and porcelain grid atop rig with 2 birds.
    - maybe add a pan on level 1.5 to catch the dripping, not hitting the stone. if you only have one crossbar pair, set the lower grid on the pan.
    - may need to swap birds between grids.
    - depending on skin results, maybe a back end crisping.

With experience, you could go no pan, maybe skip the rendering/browning step and use the bottom grid to render/crisp the skin during the cook. this would mean watching and rotating birds to prevent burning.

I've done this cook a couple times with the sliding grid system. It's easier as both grids are at or above the felt line and easy to handle the birds, just move grids. It can be a tight fit for the birds, cause the wings can stick up, usually toothpick them down or snip the ends.

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Thank you so much for the explanation and pics. I greatly appreciate it.