Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rookie egghead lump charcoal question

Whipstock
Whipstock Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Reading the forum this morning a question was asked about lump charcoal and as usual the members of this forum came through. The site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
was given, great site for information on lump charcoal. My question is, what sites are the best places for purchasing lump charcoal? I live up in the Pacific NW and have not seen a lot of stores that carry the "Highly recommended" stuff.

Comments

• AlvinSr
    AlvinSr Posts: 15
    Do you have Lowe's? Wal-Mart has it also.. :)
  • EgginRN
    EgginRN Posts: 102
    Which is the good brand that lowes sales?
  • Go to Wal-Mart there the only place that carries Royal Oak lump in the PNW and just stock up, I cant stand wal-mart so I buy as much lump that I can fit into my car so I only go 4-5 times a year
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I've only seen Cowboy brand there, so that's what you get.
  • Different lump in different regions. Try Wal-Mart for Royal Oak. That is about as consistent as you can find throughout the US. Some of those others are regional. Check your local Lowe's and Home Depot. They probably only have Cowboy Lump. Also check fireplace stores and grill stores. You may be surprised. With all the Alder wood up there you might get a local company making lump.
  • Whipstock
    I was able to get Cowboy brand at Home Depot, but that was listed as above average, says it burns fast.
  • Hey, Whipstock .. where are you in the NW? We're just north of Seattle and there are several places that carry lump. I think all of the BGE dealers around the Seattle area carry, at least, BGE lump.
    We buy Weekend Warrior from Sutter's in Woodinville.
    scott
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    nuthin the matter with cowboy, IMHO. i've used a ton of different lumps, and Cowboy is fast, hot, and cheap.

kinda like me.

RO is good, wicked good is good, kroger and BGE are just RO anyway.....

but in a pinch or on budget, there's no shame in Cowboy.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Whipstock
    Northend of Whidbey Island, next time we go down into Seattle I'll take the truck and load up.
    JW :laugh:
  • As a sidenote, Lowe's (at least here in Michigan) offers a military discount of 10% off. Both the local Home Despot and Lowe's carry Cowboy Lump in the small bags. I always stuff the cart full of charcoal and hustle home to find somewhere to store it.

I've Trex'ed with it and done 16+ hour butt cooks. No worries at all. Load her up and cook.

Semper Fi,

Joe
  • As a sidenote, Lowe's (at least here in Michigan) offers a military discount of 10% off. Both the local Home Despot and Lowe's carry Cowboy Lump in the small bags. I always stuff the cart full of charcoal and hustle home to find somewhere to store it.

I've Trex'ed with it and done 16+ hour butt cooks. No worries at all. Load her up and cook.

Semper Fi,

Joe
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Don't be afraid to check home improvement stores ie:
    Home Depot, Menards etc.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap