Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Anyone got the number for Mythbusters?

cobrastrikecobrastrike Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I'll apologize in advance for the lengthy post, but I had to share this....
I got into a discussion with a fellow egger at work about cooking a Boston butt for pulled pork. I told him the way I was cooking was the way that I thought everyone cooked (250F till 200F internal, appx 12-14 hours for 7-8 lb butt). When I told him that, he almost fell out of his chair and asked why I cooked it for so long. I asked how he did his and here's what he said....
"Get the egg to inferno temp and sear each side of the butt for 5 min. Bring the temp back to 350 and wrap butt in aluminum foil and cook for appx. 2 hours and butt will be ready to pull.".
When he told me I thought there was no way for it to cook this fast (given the plateau @ 170 and holding for hours). One thing that he did tell me was that he got the bone removed from the butcher, usually cooked a 5 lb butt, and cooked with direct heat. Even at this size, I would still think at least 6 hours with the higher temp. I asked what temp he pulled the butt of at and he told me he doesn't cook by temp, but rather time. Is this even possible?

Comments