Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pizza stone, preheat or not?

WinoWino Posts: 69
edited 10:55AM in EggHead Forum
Doing my first pizza on the egg. Do you preheat your stone or put it on cold with the pie? Any suggestions for heat and time?[p]Ron

Comments

• MarkMark Posts: 295
    Wino,
    Yes.
    Mark

• Wino,
    I would preheat it at least 15-20 minutes. The more even the heat the better the Pizza will cook. Last week I preheated it 30 minutes and it was the best pizza cooked on the BGE. It was better then a 30 minute pre heat in the oven.[p]ENJOY

• Wino,
    Yes, always preheat your pizza stone. See my pizza page for other hints and tips:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Pizza Page[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • jwitheldjwitheld Posts: 284
    Wino,
    Definitly preheat, break that thing before you put your pie on it.
    ive replaced my stone from dillards 4 times already. seems the brand they carry will break if its cold, hot or anything else.

• RRPRRP Posts: 21,196
    jwitheld, 4 times??? then why keep buying an inferior stone? The BGE stone is made from the same ceramic as the BGE itself.

L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time!