Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Options
Ray
Ray Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long would a 5 pound Boston Butt take to finish if it is done at 250 degrees? Thanks. Ray

Comments

• singram
    Options
    Ray,[p]I did a 3 1/2 pounder yesterday. I started with a dome temp of 240*. After about 8 hours I turned the dome up to 300* (we were getting hungry). It still took another 3 1/2 hours. Based on my experience I would guess 14 or 15 hours, but I've only done one so ymmv.[p]Good luck,[p]Steve
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Ray,[p]The rule of thumb for a pork butt at 250 is 2 hours per pound. So doing the math, you would think that means a 5 pounder will be done in 10 hours........ but in my experience, it's really going to take around 14 hours... more or less.
    The butt, no matter how small, is going to need time for the meat to break down and render the fat.
    I normally cook 8 lb butts and they like to go about 18 hours. Seems the larger the cut, the closer to the 2 hour rule.
    Each cut will have it's own personality so a safe bet is to monitor the internal temp and pull off the cooker, wrap in foil and let rest when it reaches 195-205 degrees.[p]John [p]