Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multi-temp Cooking (warming up for T'Giving)

Options
Bob V
Bob V Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Researching for turkey recipies, I ran into one that recommended the following (after brining):
To smoke: Preheat smoker to 120F. Dry for 2 hours
Set smoker temperature to 140F. Smoke-cook for 2 hours.
Set smoker temperature to 160F and smoke-cook for 2 hours.
Set smoker temperature to 200 - 225F until turkeys reach internal temperature of 160 - 165F (approximately 2 - 3 hours).
(http://www.cookshack.com/bbq_fun/fowl/brined_smoked_turkey.htm)[p]This makes sense with all that everyone has written about smoke taking to the meat better at lower temps, etc. Haven't seen anyone write about multi-temp cooking, though. Seems to make a lot of sense - low and slow for the smoke flavor, then finish off with a hotter cook. Anyone tried something like this?[p]Bob V[p]

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Bob V,
    I'd have to wonder why go to all that trouble. Turkey, and poultry in general, absorbs smoke like nobody's business. I think most people find that if they cook their turkey at 325 like they do in their oven, they can easily over-smoke the bird just by adding too much wood to the fire. I've smoked turkey breasts at 325 that had a really strong smoke flavor and looked very dark brown. If the drying at 120 step is to promote crispy skin, you can probably do that in your fridge by leaving the bird uncovered for several hours to dry the skin, then coating with some oil. I doubt the trouble it would be to try to keep your egg at 120 degrees would be worth the effort compared to just drying the skin in the fridge. Anyway, my .02.... If you try something like this, let us know how it goes.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I agree completely. It's way too easy to over smoke
    turkeys. This sounds like overkill in a lot of ways.
    Chuck