Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something I wanted to share with egging Vets.

Options
HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would have cooked the fish on the egg if I had any worth keeping, so it would have been on topic. I will be sending this to the DAV post if I can find the right one. I wrote this this am. I'm sure it applies to many on this forum.
I had the opportunity to take my two daughters aged 19 and 15 fishing on Aug. 15 in Key West. As we were waiting to get on the boat, some older men, 60+ were in line and wearing DAV shirts. I'm 50, so I didn't want the older guys to be insulted. I'm not far behind. They told the boat crew more vets were on the way and need to let them know a wheelchair would be coming aboard. A few minutes later several younger men arrived. One in a wheelchair and other with prosthetic devices. I was lucky enough to be set up next to one of the Vets from Vietnam. I found it interesting talking to him. He told me the older guys were taking the younger guys out fishing, and having a good time in the keys. The younger guys were Iraqi Vets. I told this to my daughters, that all the men on the fishing boat made sacrifices for the United States and them personally. The men they were looking at are the ones that made it home. They were quite moved by actually being next to some men not much older than themselves. You see pictures and stories on the news, but it does not compare to actually sitting next to real heroes. My oldest daughter got to hear a story how a couple of the vets were injured. The Vet I was fishing next to was talking to my older daughter. She told him that she was starting her third year of college and was studying psychology and was planning on becoming a psychologist. She ask him if psychological services were offered to vets after they returned. He explained everything he went through. He gave her a lot of information on what a combat vet goes through when they return.and the emotional issues they deal with relating to family, friends and society in general. My daughter received an unforgettable realistic education in that short time. I can tell you the weather was terrible, fishing was not good at all, but, this will go down as one of the most memorable fishing trips that my daughters and I have ever experienced!!!.

Comments

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Quite a story, thank you for sharing it with us.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Thanks for such a wonderful posting The DAV will be , and SHOULD be, very proud.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Thats awesome Al...congrats..
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I'm having a hard time finding out what post they came from. I'm about 10 calls into it so far. I figured if I couldn't get it to the ones there, that there are plenty on this forum that are the same people. Didn't want to have my typing, one peck at a time to go to waste.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Thanks for sharing, HungryMan, that's a great experience for all involved. I'm sure the Vets were as happy to have you and the girls along. The girls are pretty lucky to have a Dad that cares enough to take them fishing.

Have a great day,

Gator

• EgginRN
    EgginRN Posts: 102
    Options
    Glad that you posted this letter! It is an awesome privilege to get to spend time with america's heroes who sacrafice life or limb for our freedom. I am a flight nurse in the DC area. I have the honor of transporting our servicemen and women from time to time and can tell you that there is no better experience!!!!! :) Thank you!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Very nice words. Wish all kids could have this casual experience meeting our Vets in a non class room setting.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Thank you Al. I know that you and your daughters also made some terrific memories for those vets.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Thank you.

Vets never forget. Nor should we.

Spring "Remember It Well" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Multiply that by several hundred and you'll know why I bust my ass and beg to feed our troops.

Glad you got to experience this..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Thanks for sharing the story and what and experience for the three of you.

GG
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    A very memorable moment for all. Did you get to the Arizona Memorial when in Hawaii?
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Never made it there. I was stuck on Maui and never made it to any other islands.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    great story al!!! ... i'm sure the girls will never forget this. . . thanks so much for sharing!!
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Options
    I have had the honor of working with TBI (traumatic brain injury) vets in rehab. All receive physical and mental rehab. As a group they are resilient and want nothing than to be able to funtion in society. I find them to be resourceful, driven, and appreciative. Most find their way back and sadly a few do not. Wolf, I've been following your posts on troop cooks. I wish I could help. Alas, I'm in S Louisiana and work a crazy schedule.
    Being a vet myself, I appreciate the respect they get today. In the 60's and 70's it was not the same reaction. I salute you Celtic Wolf.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Glad you brought that up. I told my girls about when the Vietnam Vets returned, the disrespect they were met with. I asked them if they could look at the men we were with and spit at them or call them names? They looked at me like I was crazy. I told them that was what happened. I explained they we also met with respect, but not as much as they should have been.
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Options
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Al, thanks for sharing about the trip, the kids and the vets. I'am a lifetome member of DAV and can relate to those vets. Smiles to you and the kids.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    May God Bless you, your daughters and all men and women who have served our country honorably.

Bill H..
    37th ARRS (Jolly Green Giants)
    DaNang Air Field
    DaNang, S.Vietnam - 1972
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Great story Alan. A truly priceless day for your daughters. Too many simply look, whisper and probably pretend it isn't happening. I hear many stories from my wonderful wife who is taking care of the wounded Marines as they return from Afgan/Iraq. Truly gut wrenching stuff.

Thanks for sharing,
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    great story thanks
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    A heart warming story and I'm glad to hear it. I'm sure it helps her to have some insight into the life of a military person returning home.

Also what a great experience for you to see and hear it.

My Best,
    Bordello
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Great, great story; thanks for sharing. I am a counselor at the VA hospital in Vermont; I sit with vets, young and old, everyday - and am humbled by their experiences, everyday. We are in the process of sending 1800 of our Guard troops BACK to Afghanistan - for some, their third or fourth tour.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that,Ihave a 18 year old that wants to be in special forces in the worst way and it makes me proud and nervous at the same time.There is going to be a huge void in these boys life that will need to be filled when they come back-if your daughter gets into psychology she will be helping out our boys.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Good luck to your son. You will be proud and he will have good stories for you when he returns.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    My dad would practically spit (litterally) when Jane Fonda was mentioned......rhetorical venom was a given.

Great story Al and I'm sure it was a great day for your daughters..... I bet for the vets too.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Those are the kind of moments that should be cherished!
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I got a hold of the guys on the boat. Here is one of the responses: ( I really wrote it to express my feeling and not get a pat on the back)

Alan,

How wonderful it was to see you interacting with your daughters. I enjoyed talking in depth with them. It is obviously a credit to your parental skills that they would even take the time to talk to a broken down old guy. Not only did they converse they were interested and asked extremely intelligent questions. After talking with them I have great hope for their generation and our future. And thanks Alan for moving down the line so we could fish the back. That gesture of kindness did not go unnoticed by me and I’m sure the lesson in putting others before self was not missed by your daughters. And thank you for your service as a police officer which I know it often a thankless job. Please know that all of us on board that day value your efforts on our behalf. And wow thank you for taking the time to write us. We wish you and your daughters great success and happiness. If we can help you or them in any way please feel free to contact me. PS I will try, my wife will email that story we talked about.