Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok...ok...I'm convinced....I found my way to the BGE site purely by accident. I was doing online research on regular smokers (steel, charcoal/electric) trying to figure out which to buy. Now, I am going to buy an egg. What size ? I am thinking medium or large.[p]Do folks who have mediums find themselves wanting more space that often ? What are you cooking when that happens ?[p]Thanks[p]Dan

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    My_three_eggs.jpg
    <p />BackYardDan,[p]Go with the Large! I did for my first one, then I got another large. Then one morning, I woke up and there was another egg. I gonna have to keep them on separate sides of the deck. [grin]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    BackYardDan,[p]I had a medium for three years. Its a great size, but after getting married, having a child and friends wanting me to fook for them, I upgraded to the large.[p]Smokey
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Cool pix!
    I have 3 size BGEs now and love what each one is "just perfect for". As I always say - Go for it now, next year and thereafter! Life isn't a dress rehearsal!
    BTW GrillMeister, check your email for a response to our earlier discussion...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    BackYardDan,[p]Large.[p]Enough said.[p]TRex
  • SouthernMan
    Options
    BackYardDan,
    Large works for me. Nothing like ribs for a crowd all at once.[p]Kinsey

• Mr. Hyde
    Options
    BackYardDan,[p]Large, to start with. And if you are married, don't let your wife near it, if she is like mine, she will take over. On second thought, introduce her to it immediately!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BackYardDan,
    I am not exactly educated in the ways of the smaller eggs, having gone for the large right out of the gate.[p]But I think that if you can afford it, you should get a big one. I understand the small and mini are amazing with regard to searing steaks (distance from fuel to grill is shorter than in the large), but holy hell. I can't imagine what MORE char looks like, since my steaks at 850 degrees are perfect as is.[p]I do understand that the large uses more fuel, but the egg is stingy to begin with. When I'm done, I shut it down, and the next day I just relight the unspent fuel.[p]I am considering getting an additional egg, a small, because frequently it is just my wife and I eating, and I'm sure that adds up in the fuel usage department on the large.[p]But I would never give up the big-boy, and have NEVER regretted it. Nothing like doing a 24-hour cook of two or three 10 pound butts, or multitudinous racks of ribs...[p]Try for the big one if you can swing it.[p]But that's my biased opinion.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    Smokey,
    I got people askin me to fook for them allatime, but my wife won't let me. How'd you get her to acquiesce?

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    stike,[p]<c>I WEAR THE PANTS!</c>[p]No really, it's one of her friends who loved thr turkey breast I made on night and asked. The wife just let it slide I guess![p]Smokey
  • stike
    Options
    Smokey,
    ...i was tryna make a funny.
    you said 'fook' early on, and so i said my wife wouldn't let me 'fook' a whole buncha people...
    aw fergeddit, wasn't funny to begin with i guess....[p]
    hahahha