Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP!! with a picnic shoulder blade roast

probie
probie Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have this roast and it is wrapped up in a net and I am not for sure what to do with it? HELP!!

Comments

• Low and slow (250 or so) for as long as it takes to get to 195 to 205 internal,that could take 7 to 12 hours depending on the size and stubbourness of the roast, count on 10 plus and wrapped in foil it can hold if its done early. DOne that way it should be fall ap[art tender, Or you can cook it at 350 or so if you need it sooner, only to 185 and it will be more roast like.

Doug
  • probie
    Do I need to remove the net that is on it?
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Probie....Sounds like you have a boneless pork picnic. Very often seen done with Butts, as well. Treat it just like you would cooking any other Butt. (see recipes, search forum, hundreds of posts on the topic!!) The netting is applied to keep the roast together. You can cook with the net on, though it will hinder the bark formation. The alternative of removing the net, however, could lead to disaster.
    Cook it just like a butt, lo and slo, to 190-200 internal.
    Just my two cents! :whistle: Good luck! :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

The netting is called 'Jet Wrap'. Leave it on and season heavily.

After the rest, carefully cut the Jet Wrap, it is an elastic type material will pull quick kicking seasoning/bark all over. Hence my comment to be careful.

The cook will turn out fine, just handle it like any non Jet Wrapped cut.

GG
  • probie
    Thanks!! I was just wondering on what to do I had cooked one before. It turned out okay every one said that the meat was a little mushy not much texture to it. Did I cook it to long??